• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

opinions on who makes the best Center counsole needed.

soyen

Loc.
Sturgis
I've searched this forum and turned up nothing on this topic so I figured I'd start the conversation. I'm in the market to purchase a Center console for my 69. Just wondering what everyone else has done or seen. not really looking to fab up some elaborate masterpiece, but I would like to have an arm rest and a cup holder and maybe a place to keep things from rolling around on the floor boards. I've looked up Smittybuilt, Maxi Bilt, and Tuffy I've found other MFGs but they specialize in Jeeps but not sure if they would fit or not. if you have pictures and and maybe a short description of any mods that were required that would be a big help.

agduckhunter

I hear nothing but great things about the Tuffy. I bought the Smitty on a whim because it was in stock (at 4 Wheel Parts here in Houston) when I went to pick up my Bilstein shocks. While it's definitely made in China, it's still decent quality for a $100 item. I can't see spending double that on another console.

OP
OP
soyen

soyen

Loc.
Sturgis
added new thread in the Bronco Chat section. (where this should have gone initially)

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Just about anything 8" wide or less will work.

The one from the vendors that has the lockable storage, spot for a radio, and cup holders is pretty popular. That said, the common gripe about it is that sits to far back to use the arm rest. Some have fixed this by putting it up on spacers, but in my opinion that makes the arm rest too high. Some have modified it to raise the cup holders up some so the whole thing can slide forward. The latter is the direction I went.

I cut, welded, and re-painted for the following results:

If you want more detail of what I removed.modified let me know and I'll post some of those pics.

Tyler

hucklburry rev2

I used to have a wood one covered in my heep, it was basic, big, and a comfortable arm rest with 2 cup holders. I vertical mounted a radio to the front and loved it. I am going to build one, as I can't find another like it.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You have to decide if you want a radio mount in it or not. I have a basic Tuffy with no radio mount and a friend has the Tuffy with a radio mount. My dash is cut for a radio. if i had an uncut dash i would want the one with the radio mount. The Tuffy is a one time purchase nothing to go wrong no plastic to break.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

Attachments

• shifters1.jpg
    shifters1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 121

67RT

Bronco Guru
Any cheap junkyard options people here have tried? Need a cupholder and a storage compartment, not necessarily lockable..

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Any cheap junkyard options people here have tried? Need a cupholder and a storage compartment, not necessarily lockable..

I used one from a 93 Ranger, I think early 90s Explorers are the same. Had to space the front up about an inch as I recall.

hotrodtim68

Contributor
Center Console donor.

X2 Doyle: I picked up a early 90's Ford Explorer console, worked well. Cup holders and plenty of storage with a arm rest . Very comfortable and easy install. Check out the picture in my garage.:cool:

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
Looks like a good fit. Tell about the seats.

Thanks the seats are out of a 2010 VW Jetta, I wanted leather or vinyl that sat low. They also have flat rails with 4 bolts to mount, worked great for me and are very comfortable and hold you well. The console worked with them perfectly, and I have a ranger here for a parts donor so it was a no brainer on that one.

Leftka

Tough to beat the tuffy...I went the radio mount...great console