• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions Please..... Engine Decision!

stxbronco72

Loc.
Corpus Christi
I'm about to send my body off to be media blasted so that I can finish up some body work and get it over to paint. While it is gone, I have a buddy who is gonna blast and paint the frame...

My problem is that this EB is all original and uncut. Until I got a hold of it there were NO major mods and it had never been torn down or re-painted. I have access to a 302, but I WAS leaning towards rebuilding the original inline 6 that rolled with it off of the lot- just to maintain the "stock" specs that I have now (I'll be lifting it 2.5", but other than that, it will go back to original color, three on the tree, etc.).

Everyone is telling me to go with the 302, and in the long run, I think it would be more fun. I'd probably want to move to a floor shifter if I did this.

I'm basically looking for some feedback to help persuade me in one way or the other... Right now I'm 50/50! Thoughts???

Thanks,

Justin

JT

Well...it's all up to you but since you asked for opinions I'll give you mine. If you wanted to keep it stock then the lift kit kinda kills that option. Since you want the lift, why not go with the 302?

Don't forget, it's just a machine and you can change your mind anytime!

JT

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'd go for the 302.....

Go w/your gut man. or if $$ is an issue, the cheaper option "rebuild/302"

BR549

Loc.
huntsville
With that lift are your plans to go bigger on the tires, plus what are the gear ratios. Best to figure what you are tring to build. And that it will work well for its intended use. Now would be the best time for a swap. I think the 302 would make lt more fun

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
with the 6 cylinder you probably have 4.11 gearing if you go V8 you can pull any tire up to 33" but the truck will no longer like the stock 28 in tires. If you keep the six and want to change to a larger tire you will have to change the gearing.
You could also swap to a bigger six. Swapping to the v8 you will also want to swap to the better tranny too if you dont have it already.

OP
OP
stxbronco72

stxbronco72

Loc.
Corpus Christi
Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

@BR549: I'm thinking of going to 31" tires. I'm not sure on the gear ratios. I researched the 170 inline 6 option and found a lot of different answers...

OP
OP
stxbronco72

stxbronco72

Loc.
Corpus Christi
@ Rustytruck: Thanks for the gear info. I'm planning on swapping the tranny as well if I go with the 302 since I have to switch the bell housing anyways.

The V8 is sounding better and better :cool:

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
To me its either keep it all 100% stock (or as close as is possible) or do with it what you want. If you lift it change the radio and put aftermarket wheels on it you are now no longer a stocker at a car show as I understand it. Might as well do whatever makes you happy.

Be careful though... it is a slippery slope... once you start modifying it never ends... A stocker has an end... once you get back to stock thats all you can do.... but a restomod is endless... 17 years in and I am still working on mine....

Greg

jspurl3

Loc.
Baton Rouge, LA
I have 170 6 that is a blast to drive but I think it would be picked on at the playground with larger tires....

Ps: I am building a motor for mine right now once it is done I may be willing to sell my stock 302 and manual trans if you are interested. It runs great may just need some new gaskets and a good cleaning/coat of paint. Trans works fine but clutch is about gone.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Put a nice warmed up 250 six in it. You can do all sorts of cool upgrades and you'll likely be the ONLY one in your area with a build six! You can add a 2bbl carb, aluminum heads, turbo's..... The sky's the limit.

Personally 6 cylinder Bronco's are becoming pretty rare, I'd keep it original if it were mine. I know my 66 is staying with the 170 six in it!

bmbm

six options

You could find a later 200 six, 1980 or so and build it up some. The 200 is a direct swap and it will look stock. The 250 is great even stock but would be a bit more work. Go to classicinlines.com and see what they are doing. Good luck.

ILikeBond

I bought my rig with a 200 I6 and drove it for a couple years with the same idea that keeping it as close to stock as possible was kind of neat. That said, there had been a lot of other stuff done to it, and I wanted to do a lot more. When I finally got around to building it, I found a 5.0 mustang 302 and am getting ready to build it up then mate it to an NV3550... can't wait, and not looking back!

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Since you asked for opinions; I would definitely continue on the path of keeping it stock'ish and target the LUBR look. But that said, you can still move to a 302 based powerplant and have an original configuration. After all the majority of EB's rolled off the line with the V8.

bsquared

Contributor
Biggest part of the equation is if you are happy with the power level of the 170. Mine was enough for me for about 5 years. As was said earlier, once you fall off the wagon, it's fun, expensive and hard fall.

Do your research.....going V-8 is going to mean welding in new motor towers and radiator mounts, at the very least. Drivelines will need to be retubed, etc. If you choose to go to a floor shifter, why not get a 5th gear and drop in a ZF 5speed tranny?

I've been very happy with changes I made....it is much more fun for me. Good luck!

bmbm

six options

I forgot to mention the 250 is a sbf v8 bell housing pattern so you have more transmission options. The 250 oil pan is the only difficult part of the swap because all 250's are front sump pans and you will probably need rear sump with it in a Bronco especially if no suspension lift. The drive shafts may need work for proper length. If you find a 200 to rebuild you can just swap your 170 pan onto it.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
300Six with EFI would be bitch'n - its still a Ford straight six, but more modern. Think of it as resto-mod.