• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions wanted on which year 302 for me to buy & rebuild

dingo8

Loc.
Luzerne County, PA
So, I'm meeting a guy tonight to pick up a front dana 44 axle that i got off ebay. I spoke with him on the phone for a while the other day and he asked if there was anything else i wanted. I currently have a 73 chassis that i've started on, and I'd like to also start the powertrain soon. I've decided that i'll definitely be going with a 302, since i MIGHT be putting a ranger (pickup) cab on the bronco frame, and the ranger, i understand is very difficult to fit a 351. (i know, it's EB blasphemy, but i've sketched up a truck that i think kinda fits my needs & wants)<br><br>So, the guy i'm getting the axle from says that his dad is the family engine guy and he wanted to know what year i was looking for.<br><br>I KNOW that I want a pre-EFI motor, so that i can run a 4bbl carb setup (probably the Holley Truck Avenger). I don't plan on doing any SUPER-modifications, like a stroker crank or massively radical cam.<br><br>I'd like to go mostly stock specifications, for (real or perceived) reliability, with mostly minor bolt-on upgrades: Carb, intake, headers, MSD/Jacobs ignition, etc.<br><br>My question for you engine gurus, basically, is: What range of years should i look out for, or request from this guy?

OP
OP
dingo8

dingo8

Loc.
Luzerne County, PA
[quote author=madgyver link=board=5;threadid=11394;start=0#83730 date=1037636454]<br>Why not just start with a 351W? <br>[/quote]<br><br>i'd really like to use a 351W, but i'm considering a ranger (pickup) cab to go on the bronco chassis i'm doing. talking to some other folks, i've notice a lot of scuttlebut over clearance issues with rangers and 351w's.<br><br>don't get me wrong. i love the 351w. i have one in my '85 fullsize, and wouldn't even trade it for a big block.<br><br>i see see more 302's anyhow and hope i can get a better deal on a 302 than a 351.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:eek: :eek: :eek: A stock 351W HO from a later truck will work just fine in a stock bronco you should not have any clearance problems with it good luck. ;D ;D ;D Bill 8) ::) :p

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
If you can wait a month, I will have a complete and running 302 - pre EFI - following my conversion to a 351W

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
I'd look for an older 289 out of a '65-'66 Mustang, those heads have good compression, as far as a block, they're basically all the same, an early '70's "Mexican" 302 block would be nice, they're made of a stronger metal.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I have a nice 302 with 62,000 miles on it for cheap but you need a trailer caus it is still in a frame with both rears. Frame is covered with surface rust. Would sell it for about three hundred. Both rears are posi. It is a 73. N.Y. near Albany

OP
OP
dingo8

dingo8

Loc.
Luzerne County, PA
[quote author=2badrotties link=board=5;threadid=11394;start=0#83847 date=1037664109]<br>I have a nice 302 with 62,000 miles on it for cheap but you need a trailer caus it is still in a frame with both rears. Frame is covered with surface rust. Would sell it for about three hundred. Both rears are posi. It is a 73. N.Y. near Albany<br>[/quote]<br><br>Albany, eh? I did a good part of my growin'-up in Guilderland.<br><br>That sounds very tempting (price and package). I'll see what happens over the next few days and will PM you or email you if i can figure something out.

OP
OP
dingo8

dingo8

Loc.
Luzerne County, PA
[quote author=6677ebman link=board=5;threadid=11394;start=0#83841 date=1037662633]<br>I'd look for an older 289 out of a '65-'66 Mustang, those heads have good compression, as far as a block, they're basically all the same, an early '70's "Mexican" 302 block would be nice, they're made of a stronger metal. <br>[/quote]<br><br>i did a search on this board for "mexican" and see that the blocks are considered better for 2 reasons: (1) the stronger webs @ the main caps, and (2) a higher nickel content seems to make for a stronger block.<br><br>i also see that people are saying that the "mexican" blocks were '69-'72.<br><br>were ALL 69-72 302 blocks "mexican"? or just some 69-72's?<br><br>what are some casting numbers i should be looking for?

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
[quote author=2badrotties link=board=5;threadid=11394;start=0#83847 date=1037664109]<br>I have a nice 302 with 62,000 miles on it for cheap but you need a trailer caus it is still in a frame with both rears. Frame is covered with surface rust. Would sell it for about three hundred. Both rears are posi. It is a 73. N.Y. near Albany<br>[/quote]<br><br>What do you mean by "both rears", just curious?

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
[quote author=2badrotties link=board=5;threadid=11394;start=0#83943 date=1037683637]<br>Ok Ok , a 9inch rear and a dana front ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ahh, clarity...mmm. <br><br>John

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
dingo8,<br>Did you ever get your question answered? What year are you puttin it in? I prefer the 69-70 302's. They have the highest compression ratio and are quite spunky for their CU-IN. If it's a truck motor, there's a good chance that it's a mexican block, they have thicker webbing in the main bearing saddles, more nickel in the alloy so they resist rust better too. If you get the motor out of an econoline, it will have a bronco pan on it too I think. That's what I'm going to drop in my '73...

OP
OP
dingo8

dingo8

Loc.
Luzerne County, PA
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=11394;start=0#83959 date=1037686460]<br>dingo8,<br>Did you ever get your question answered? What year are you puttin it in? I prefer the 69-70 302's. They have the highest compression ratio and are quite spunky for their CU-IN. If it's a truck motor, there's a good chance that it's a mexican block, they have thicker webbing in the main bearing saddles, more nickel in the alloy so they resist rust better too. If you get the motor out of an econoline, it will have a bronco pan on it too I think. That's what I'm going to drop in my '73...<br>[/quote]<br><br>My question, for the most part has been answered, in that i now know that i'm looking for a mexican block.<br><br>After reading some mustang boards (using the clues that i got here, from you awesome guys), i gather that the mexican blocks were 69-71.<br><br>If i shop around for a motor out of a 69-71 truck or van, i gather that it SHOULD be a mexican block.<br><br>Does anyone know of a source to find out casting codes just to verify whether i am, in fact, looking at a mexican block? This is the only information that i have yet to find out. (although i've googled it, i haven't had the time to really read super in-depth, the google results)<br><br>As always, you all rock.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=dingo8 link=board=5;threadid=11394;start=0#84014 date=1037721193]<br>[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=11394;start=0#83959 date=1037686460]<br>dingo8,<br>Did you ever get your question answered? What year are you puttin it in? I prefer the 69-70 302's. They have the highest compression ratio and are quite spunky for their CU-IN. If it's a truck motor, there's a good chance that it's a mexican block, they have thicker webbing in the main bearing saddles, more nickel in the alloy so they resist rust better too. If you get the motor out of an econoline, it will have a bronco pan on it too I think. That's what I'm going to drop in my '73...<br>[/quote]<br><br>My question, for the most part has been answered, in that i now know that i'm looking for a mexican block.<br><br>After reading some mustang boards (using the clues that i got here, from you awesome guys), i gather that the mexican blocks were 69-71.<br><br>If i shop around for a motor out of a 69-71 truck or van, i gather that it SHOULD be a mexican block.<br><br>Does anyone know of a source to find out casting codes just to verify whether i am, in fact, looking at a mexican block? This is the only information that i have yet to find out. (although i've googled it, i haven't had the time to really read super in-depth, the google results)<br><br>As always, you all rock.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I took a stock "mexican" block 302 out of my 1974 Bronco a few years ago, so they were definitely offered up until then. I know that the engine was stock in the 74, but I don't remember the casting # on it. It could have been laying around the factory until they slapped it in the 74, I dunno. I sold the block for $100 because I was moving and couldn't bring it with. Stupid because that would have been a good base for a builder motor!!

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Be smart about buying your block. Try to determine if the block has been machined to its limits already. I have had blocks that were already machined to their structural limits in terms of bore width when I came across them, making them financially unusable for me. I was offered the option of resleaving a block but I figured that would be more money than if I just kept looking. The machine shop I have used always warned me about buying some hopped up engine from who wasn't running it themselves.

OP
OP
dingo8

dingo8

Loc.
Luzerne County, PA
[quote author=Waverous link=board=5;threadid=11394;start=15#84020 date=1037722351]<br>Be smart about buying your block. Try to determine if the block has been machined to its limits already. I have had blocks that were already machined to their structural limits in terms of bore width when I came across them, making them financially unusable for me. I was offered the option of resleaving a block but I figured that would be more money than if I just kept looking. The machine shop I have used always warned me about buying some hopped up engine from who wasn't running it themselves.<br>[/quote]<br><br>yeah, i've gathered this much from reading posts both in this thread, as well as other threads.<br><br>i still have to feel out this guy that i bought my axle from (it's his dad that apparently has a small boneyard). i mean, if the block came out of a rusted out hulk sitting in the yard, it might be safer to assume that it's "more stock" than if i found a 1970 engine sitting in a 1984 mustang, right? a condition like that might point to the fact that the motor had already been rebuilt at least once, and therefore had been bored & resurfaced at least once.<br><br>i'm not gonna jump on anything i feel unsure of, basically based on this fear of getting a puched-to-the-max piece of crap.