• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ORI mounting- 1" of shaft showing on setup you STILL need to allow 1" compression...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
ORI mounting- 1" of shaft showing on setup you STILL need to allow 1" compression...

Update** --I found that this one source was incorrect... so since I can't figure out how to delete the post just remember that you will always have just under an inch of chrome shaft exposed even under full compression

SO, I have bent up some 1.5" x .188" DOM for upper ORI tube mounts and have read and been told that you obviously set the distance btw upper and lower at full compression and then you tune them...

...but I just read that you STILL need to allow one MORE inch of compression because the last inch of exposed shaft at full compression will now be compressed when the last 1" of bumpstop is used...

Anybody else offer some more info on this?

Last edited:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I set dampers with axle to frame at metal to metal. I assume that eventually the bump-stops will be blown off the truck and I don't want the dampers damaged because of that. I usually leave 1/2" of stroke left in the damper with the suspension articulated to the worst possible angle to allow the expected frame deflection.