• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

original '70 pinto yellow paint recipe

Laker

Does anyone know the paint recipe for the pinto yellow paint? My local paint shop could not find this paint code in his system,so he mixed me up a spray bomb of Fiesta tan(1970 truck) that we thought was the one,but is not quite yellow enough,too tan. Having a spray bomb of the original color is great for rust repairs and whatever else.

OP
OP
Laker

Laker

Thanks man,that does seem to narrow it down some. The 2157 yellow looks real close. Funny how things get lost over time.So you know got got an oldie when the records are lost!! Check the nostalgic snap!

100_0056-1.jpg

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
I have ordered from www.automotivetouchup.com twice and each time they have been great. I got a new dash and Grabber Green was hard to find but they had it. You can order it as touchup pens to rattlecans etc. and they have the old Ford codes.

Attachments

• 1970-ford-ppg.jpg
    1970-ford-ppg.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Laker

Laker

Sounds like good places,but how do I know my paint code? That is the problamo!

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
If its a Ford click on the attachment of the sheet I attached in the previous post. Chances are it on there. Im assuming its the Bright Yellow

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
To get the exact color you are after you need to goto a Dupont, PPG, or Sherwin-Williams (automotive paint supplier, not Sherwin house paint). These three have formulas that go back that far and should have the color chips. The color chips you see on the computer screen is not exact and either are the actual chips. The chips are close matches but NOT exact. To get a 100% accurate sample you have to get them to mix a small amount like 4 ounces.

BTW if you are painting yellow put down a base of white. Yellow can take up to 7 coats of paint to get full coverage. By applying the white as a base you will need less coats (I HATE painting yellow!!!)
Also manufacturers can sometimes call a color one thing and the paint manufacturers can call it something else. Bodyshops and paint stores go by the code, not the name.

This is the result of a search on Sherwin's site with YELLOW in the name of the color and 1970 as the year and Ford as the make .....

Model Year: 1970 Hide Models
MFG Model Exterior Code Accent Code Vehicle Part Color Name Year(s)
Ford America 5 Exterior Grabber Yellow 1970
Ford America 5 Exterior Yuma Yellow 1970-1972
Ford America 6S Exterior Chrome Yellow 1962-1986
Ford America 9 Exterior Brt Yellow 1970
Ford America 9 Exterior Meadowbrook Yellow 1968-1970
Ford America 9 Exterior Pastel Yellow 1970
Ford America D Exterior Grabber Yellow 1970
Ford America D Exterior Yuma Yellow 1970-1972
Ford America G Exterior Chrome Yellow 1962-1975
Ford America K Exterior Meadowbrook Yellow 1968-1970
Ford America K Exterior Pastel Yellow 1970
Ford America K9 Exterior Brt Yellow 1970

OP
OP
Laker

Laker

allenfahey...thanks for the advise.I will do that. My original paint is still in excellent condition and after a coat of wax looks great,so just wanted a rattle can for minor touch ups.You're right too,yellow is the chits to paint!