• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original Hardtop bolts vs. Jeep Easy Fasteners

c.ing

Loc.
Nashville
Has anyone tried using Jeep's Easy On Off Hard Top Fasteners Nuts Bolts KIT?
I have a '77 and was thinking that even if they only fit around the holes above the back wheel well, they would make it lot easier to install.

Has anyone tried this?

BoltTurner

I welded the nuts to large washers and jb welded that to the bed rail. Works pretty well. A couple fell off that I'll have to redo. Would like to spot weld them to the underside of the bed rail but I think that will ruin the paint.

JSBX

Contributor
I have a half cab and use nut zerts along the back and u clip nuts where the top bolts to the windshield. Makes taking the top off and on a little quicker.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use a 1-1/2" strap with tapped holes in it cut in a couple of pieces to work around the roll cage. Used hot roll steel. It has rooled edges so no marring the bed top. The strap works well so no tools used under the bed rail and makes that damn bolt behind the door opening a breeze.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I screwed up and put 3/8 nutserts in! Then linexed over it. So I am kind of stuck with the 3/8 fasteners.

pbwcr

Nuts welded to big washers or plate is a good plan because the sheet metal is so thin it distorts when tightening against the rubber seal. Copy the Ford oem method for the front two bolts. They use 2 weld nuts on a plate about 1.5" wide. Mine has a turn down at the aft end to use as a handle.
For frequent removal Summersea has the best plan. Especially with them fixed in place.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems like you could use the flat bar idea (either tapped or with nuts tacked to it) with panel bond adhesive and not have to weld or pop holes in anything.