• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original Underdash A/C Replacement

Jaxgtc

One side of my original underdash A/C unit shattered the other day when bumped, a testament to the frailty of a 40 year old piece of plastic.

Can I purchase a new Vintageair underdash system and use the existing plumbing, compressor, evaporator, etc.? I realize they are different types of refrigerant, but not sure if it works. Would it be more prudent to upgrade all of the components at the same time?

Does anyone have experience with this unit? I like the idea of maintaining a stock type of look.

OP
OP
Jaxgtc

Jaxgtc

Vintage Air underdash unit. Mark IV . $299.00 on there web sight.:)

Thank you. I saw that it was very reasonable, just not sure it would work with an existing R12 system. Sorry, I've never had much experience with A/C.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You might consider replacing the underdash unit and the compressor. Adaptors are available to convert the original York style compressor mount to a work with a Sanden style rotary compressor.

I swapped to a Sanden when my York compressor got noisy. I switched from the old York to a Sanden. It's quieter, smoother, and more efficient. There is much less load on the engine.

Be careful if shopping for a Sanden. There are a lot of clones out there. I called Sanden to verify that mine was authentic. Their website has some info to help verify.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I would give Vintage Air a shout. Last time I checked they still offered R-12 systems for those in your situation or doing period correct restorations. You may be able to buy just the underdash head and reuse the rest. Although 40 year old hoses are likely on their way out.

OP
OP
Jaxgtc

Jaxgtc

Great advice on the compressor. Interesting that there may still heads out there for the R12. I know my luck, as soon as I go that route then the compressor will go and I will regret not changing it all.
I actually did some measurements and the vintage underdash might stick out a bit too far. I had also considered going with something like the unit sold by TBP. It looks similar to what ackits.com sells. I know it sticks out a couple of inches too. It gives you the whole kit which is a plus, but it does sacrifice that original look to some degree.
Anyone with experience with the TBP unit or ackits.com please feel free to let me know. Don't mean to vacillate, but I hope it is the last one I wind up buying. Thanks for your help.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Is switched my dealer installed ARA to R-134 years ago and expected to have hose leaks. It worked fine with the original hoses. R-134 has a smaller molecular structure so it is more prone to leakage. These 40 year old hoses on mine are thick.
R-12 will be really pricey if you ever have leakage problems.

OP
OP
Jaxgtc

Jaxgtc

Is switched my dealer installed ARA to R-134 years ago and expected to have hose leaks. It worked fine with the original hoses. R-134 has a smaller molecular structure so it is more prone to leakage. These 40 year old hoses on mine are thick.

My original is one of the ARA models too. Good to know that leaving the hoses in tact and switching components is another option. They are thick and have clamps on all the connections.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
My original is one of the ARA models too. Good to know that leaving the hoses in tact and switching components is another option. They are thick and have clamps on all the connections.

If you decide to go that route, PM me and and can tell you what I needed and where I got it. I vacuumed the system and charged it myself. Autozone will loan you what you need for that. Total cost for everything was under $250. Much better than the $700 I was quoted.

If you dispose of your ARA unit I may be interested in some parts if they are better than mine...vents, knobs, etc...

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
You might consider replacing the underdash unit and the compressor. Adaptors are available to convert the original York style compressor mount to a work with a Sanden style rotary compressor.

I swapped to a Sanden when my York compressor got noisy. I switched from the old York to a Sanden. It's quieter, smoother, and more efficient. There is much less load on the engine.

Be careful if shopping for a Sanden. There are a lot of clones out there. I called Sanden to verify that mine was authentic. Their website has some info to help verify.

The Sanden plant is right down the street from my house!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru

All true but there is a product compatible with both R12 and R134a.
It's called Freeze 12. Last time I bought it was on eBay.

Built an a/c system up for an '85 F-250. Used Freeze 12. It was great and pretty cheap.

You can also buy R-12 on eBay. Expensive.
People will tell you that you cannot buy it, but you can.
You simply state in the remarks section that you are simply buying it to re-sell it and not use it. Easy peasy.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
All true but there is a product compatible with both R12 and R134a.

It's called Freeze 12. Last time I bought it was on eBay.

Built an a/c system up for an '85 F-250. Used Freeze 12. It was great and pretty cheap.

You can also buy R-12 on eBay. Expensive.

People will tell you that you cannot buy it, but you can.

You simply state in the remarks section that you are simply buying it to re-sell it and not use it. Easy peasy.

That's good to know about the Freeze-12. I wonder if it can be used in R-12 systems that have had R-134 in them? Sounds like it can.

I switched my 71 C-10 to R-134 and it's not as cool as before. I think that is a common thing unless you change the expansion vale. I don't want to get into that....