• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

overdrive toploader ??

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
any one know where i could find them? I can just about get the trannie fro free because one of the gears is gone. i think reverse. it is the cast iron case version. also in the local bone yard last trip i foind one of the alum case that is top cover shifted i belive. would parts from one exchange form the other? thanks.

I will try and pull the cover in a couple weeks and see if i can get to it. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You should be able to swap the gears between the 2 just make sure they have the same tooth count. There used to be a guy that dealt only with Toploaders in the mustang Mags but I couldnt find his ad you may want to go on a mustang forum and ask there

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
It can be done, as we have a Willys pickup streetrod that has the cast iron toploader.The PO swapped out the gears and now 4th is overdrive. We rarely use 4th gear around town, but on the highway, it really cruises!

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Advance Adaptors only makes stuff to hook the transfer case up to the big rear bearing ones though, casting #s 2603606 & 2603729. These I believe are the aluminum case van transmissions. They dont have much value and are pretty cheap in the local junkyards around Montana. You also have to use the Advance Adaptors Hurst shifter & bracket # 715503 plus their rod kit with these so it can get kind of pricey. Might want to price it all out before you start and make sure you have the right trans to start with. Its a lot different deal then putting one in a 2 wheel drive street rod. This info is available on their web site too. I checked into it but it was too pricey for me. The transmissions are direct drive in third and drive thru the cluster to get the OD in 4th

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
Last time I tried to find parts it was hard. Obsolete. I got some parts from Rockland Gear in New York. Not the nicest bunch of people to deal with. They dont like questions.

I had the cast iron version. One thing....if you do go with it.....dont use the Chinese needle bearings.....try to find OEM.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Those guys consider them garbage as far as toploaders go. Ive talked to all of them. Good luck finding parts. Probably be easier just to find a good used one. Again, make sure you get the right one too

OP
OP
C

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
ok i finally got it pulles out of the building and pulled the cover every thing looks good i belive the problem was the shifter the more questions i have asked. here are the numbers off the tranie

on the tag rug cd ft30

on the tale shaft rf- d7dr-7ag40-aa

i may have gotten one or two wrong i will check later kind of hard to tell uncleaned. thanks again

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
RUG CD is a correct number, the D7 indicates a 77 transmission probably from a van. Whether thats the one Advance Adaptors makes the adaptors for I dont know. You would neeed to check with them. As far as I know they only make it for the big bearing aluminum case ones but maybe thats changed

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
Advance goes by the raised casting number, it seems like it was something like 630-??? . Anyway, I had the "kit" on a cast iron one out of a Granada. I think their kit worked on either. If I remember, I dont think the rear bearing OD makes any difference, only the ID which would correspond to the OD of the tailshaft. AS far as the internals, I dont know how much interchanges. There were several gearing arrangements.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Advance Adaptors info in my first post is right off their web site, casting numbers 2603606 & 2603729 are the 2 RUG transmissions that their kit works on. They state that they are aluminum case transmissions. Whether thats right or not is between you and them.

OP
OP
C

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
ok it is out of a truck i can not recall what year at the moment. the gears still have markings on them. the yellow casting number is 2603606 but it is a cast case. i emailed advance adapters so i will see if they say any more. thanks again and any mor info is welcome.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I was a ford dealership mechanic in the late 70's when they first came out with the OD toploader and I never saw one that was made of aluminum in the vans or the Grenadas. Maybe they did but I never saw one. The Grenada ones had a brass bushing that the cluster gear ran on and the vans had bearings. They had wear trouble with the Grenada ones still under warranty. In OD they run thru the cluster in the old 3rd gear position to get the overdrive ratio. Third gear is direct 1-1

OP
OP
C

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
any one know the best place / price to get an output shaft or a shifter?