• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint or powdercoat OEM 16" wheels

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I bought a set of OEM 16" wheels at the Wildhorses swap meet on Saturday.

They need to be media blasted and re-coated

I'm pretty sure I've seen powder coated OEM wheels before. I believe Nick with Northeast Classic Ford Parts sells them this way.

Curious what the consensus is when it comes to steel rims. As with anything, rock chips are going to be easier to touch up on painted rims vs. powder coated.

Any other thoughts? These will be going on a Bronco that gets driven with some regularity, which may make a difference on opinions.

House

Minutia Militia
If you powder coat them make sure to clean the lug nut seating area back down to bare metal afterwards. Your coater can wipe them with his finger prior to baking, or you can sand them after you get them back. I like to use an air drill and a small flap wheel drum. Makes quick work of it…

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Justin I like to have the wheels primer powdercoat then paint. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

helo-mech

- LUBR's are the next Diamond Plate -

I swear I see something or learn something new every time I come on the site. This has to be the funniest and ever so subtle thing I have come across.

As for the wheels, I like the powder primer / paint option myself. Harder to 'touch-up' a gash and nicks in powder.

1970 Palmer

The cost of blasting, and powder coating a steel wheel in my area is about $50/wheel.

It would be about the same cost to blast, and epoxy prime the wheel.

Unless you have "a sweet deal" on media blasting, I would let the powder coater do the blasting, then have him do a primer coat.

The powder coat that I have had done in the past does not last as long as quality paint in a UV environment. The powder coat chalks up, just like POR15 primer, when it sits in the sun.

It's hard to beat two part epoxy primer, and automotive quality paint. The blasting alone is about the same cost as having the coater do both steps.

John

House

Minutia Militia
- LUBR's are the next Diamond Plate -
I swear I see something or learn something new every time I come on the site. This has to be the funniest and ever so subtle thing I have come across.

;D
It's been there for a few years, and you are the first to mention itÂ…