• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint shop recommendations in Memphis

Crimson Nape

I am about ready to have the Bronco painted and I am looking for any recommendations for paint shops in the Memphis area. All the rust is gone and it will only need a little body work. It seems most body shops don't like to do overall paint jobs and I definitely don't want the $400 re-paint places. On the other hand, I don't want the $10,000 total restoration places either. Thanks.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Where have you checked so far? I'm about to get my '93 done, and I'm considering AAA in Oakland. I forget the name of the place in Millington that did Frank's '75, but they raped him on price, and didn't do a correspondingly-great job. Most places want to do the fast & lucrative collision repairs; not labor-intensive time-consuming full repaints that occupy a shop bay for a month or more.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
i used to work at a machine shop that converted new trucks into work trucks. flat beds, utility bodies, ladder racks etc......

we did at least one truck a day if not three and we took them all to the maaco on mt moriah. i know it sounds weird but they did really good work for a reasonable price. i saw a lot of finished cars there and they all looked great too. seemed like they always had at least one old car in progress as well.

that was a few years ago, but i plan on at least getting a quote for my bronco there next year for paint.

like steve said everyone i talk too is into modern car collision work through insurance companies.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I honestly think you need to find a hot rod shop and see what they say? You'll probably start at $5000 for a decent starting job, if you want show quality your likely starting around $15K+

Production shops generally loose money doing complete paint jobs as they can turn out more fender benders in the amount of time it takes to do 1 complete paint job, if they do it'll take them forever as the faster jobs will be their priority and they get paid faster.

OP
OP
C

Crimson Nape

Where have you checked so far? I'm about to get my '93 done, and I'm considering AAA in Oakland. I forget the name of the place in Millington that did Frank's '75, but they raped him on price, and didn't do a correspondingly-great job. Most places want to do the fast & lucrative collision repairs; not labor-intensive time-consuming full repaints that occupy a shop bay for a month or more.

Personal Touch did a 73 911 for me a couple years ago and it was one of the best paint jobs I have ever seen. It was very expensive but that car could handle the extra investment. Jim's body shop on Lamar (bring your gun) has done great work on repairs. He said he'd consider doing a total repaint depending on his work load.