• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting a hard top...What kind of primer and paint?

BamaBronco73

Loc.
Birmingham, AL
??? I am about to re-do the top on my 73. Plan on using some POR products to touch up some bad spots.
Then plan on stripping the old paint off and priming, then painting.
Going back with white. Any suggestions on a good (does not have to be Mercedes quality) primer and paint? I assume I should use a white primer under the white paint.

Thanks.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
If you do not have any body work to cover, you can just spray a coat of PPG's DP48 ( white epoxy primer ) and paint right over it. If you have any bodywork to cover , use the epoxy primer first and then do the areas that need to be sanded with some 2K urethane primer. Urethane primer is great stuff. It fills nice, sands nice, doesn't shrink up like lacquer primer when it gets out in the sun. The epoxy is good over bare steel but was not intended to be sanded or used as a filler for sand scratches. It is a great sealer AFTER your body work is done.
If you are going to use POR15 you might want to try their tie-coat primer. You can put it right over the POR15 and it is sandable.
The paint you use is up to you. If you have a nice dust free place to paint, acrylic enamel with hardner is okay. If you are painting in a place you might get some dirt, single stage urethane is nice stuff. Paint it one day, lightly sand it and buff the next day. OR just leave it, depending on what type of job you want. You can also sand and buff the enamel in a couple of days , it just needs a little more time to harden. Is this of any help to you ?