• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting Bronco exterior with line-x worth it?

71HLFCAB

Loc.
Blairsville, Ga
Does spraying the exterior of my Bronco with colored line-x or equal bedliner hurt the resale value God forbid I have to sale? I hunt and fish in it alot and don't want to worry about scratches. I know the look and texture of the bedliner on the exterior is not for everyone, just not sure if it would hinder the resale it forced to. Never want to sell it but you can never tell. Thanks

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
I think scratches would be better for resale. I think it's like having a pool at your house. It can help or hurt depending on who’s interested in buying it, but generally speaking it would have a broader appeal if the exterior is painted. :)

clownshoe

Loc.
Crofton, MD
There was a compay that I was looking at to do the same thing and they said they could smooth the texture out some but you are pretty much stuck with that color for the life of the truck. I say if it feels good do it, someone will always be looking for a nice trail rig.

Smitty

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
One thing to add is that those sprays can fade so I would choose a color that would minimize the notice factor. Also my buddy did that and then had a small engine fire and it ruined the hood. He kept it like that but it was stupid ugly. The whole truck was stupid ugly but not because of the bed liner.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I think it would hurt resale value. You're essentially limiting your buyers to those who are looking for a trail rig or a hunting rig AND who dont mind the line-x. You can rule out anyone that's looking for a street cruiser or a restoration or anyone that wants a bronco that 'looks good' with a nice paint job.

But if you keep it forever you'll never have a resale problem, will you! :cool:

OP
OP
71HLFCAB

71HLFCAB

Loc.
Blairsville, Ga
Thanks for the advice. The more I think about it the worse line-x bedliner sounds. I think I will just have it painted normal.;D

cobralee

Loc.
Northwestern OK
I saw an old Landcruiser one time that was rhino lined and it was pretty nice looking but I don't blame you for deciding against it. What if you wanna change the color someday. I was considering it for my trail ride but I think krylon sounds better now so I can change it up if I don't like it.

4x4babygirl

Bronco Goddess
Loc.
Tanasi
Kidney LineXed his motorcycle's tank and it looks badass. Like Batman's bike or something. I think it could look pretty cool on a Bronco.

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I've seen a truck like this think it looks like poo. What if you want to replace a panel or fix a dent. I had a hell of of time removing herculiner from my tub. I can't even imaging trying to remove line-x

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
Saw a jeep done inside and out including roll bar.It looked like the whole vehicle was dipped.I think its cool.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
IF you don't like the color in a few years, line x OVER that w/a new color ;D ;D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Paint-matched Line-X is really expensive. I dont think its necessary, but it all depends on the "theme" of your rig. I definitely like how mine turned out, but its not on the exterior other than the wear-points and its black which is what all my color accents are. Just to give you an idea...inside the tub--all the way up the firewall, out the door openings covering the rockers and folllowing the bottom of the door line on the rear fender, kicking up slightly at the back of the rear fender line on around the back. That line is matched on the lower tailgate at the bottom...as well as the 'inside the tub face of the tub. The liner continues over the bedrail to the radius of the fender (for good step and top installation protection. The entire underside of the tub is lined including all under faces of the rear fender-walls, the core support, the engine compartment, the inner fenders. The inside for the front fenders, door panels were also lined...for $1800. Its alot of $, but its alot of Bronco to have to coat and alot of protection.

There can be some fitment issues with front fenders--you can see how I addressed this in one of the pics in the attached thread, and a few other areas that you need to be aware of and make sure they are taped and removed so that you can mount the fenders, but its pretty obvious if you really look at how the pieces mate. It could be easy to overlook however.

Here is a link to another thread where I posted some pics. They are not the best pics and they dont really do alot of justice, but they give you an idea.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113074&highlight=Line-x+underside+pics

As said above, unless you are going for a real 'Road Warrior' vibe, coating the whole exterior with any bedliner, while gutsy is probably unnecessary and could pose problems for repairs later....hell, I worry abotu that with what I hve now, but I think it will hold up pretty good...and mine isnt for show. If you do go for the full coating, spend the money, get a really well-experience Line-X shop to do the work and have the Kevlar with UV protection upgraded formula (Line-X extra or plus or something) in the color of your choice sprayed...your jaw will drop on the cost, however, it will give you the longest lasting and 'stylish' (in the sense of fade-resistant color) of bedlined finishes. Otherwise, fading is definitely a concern. Sicking with a good paint job should allow you to buff out scratches and fix minor blems easily, however...just make sure whatever you do that you start witha good foundation and solid sheetmetal...the bedlining is a durable alternative to undercoating, but its also more permanent...you really need to be sure that as you send it in that its in its final body-work stage of being...you dont want to have to cut, trim or alter anything after its sprayed...it stings. In other words do a pretty thorough mock-up before you have any bedlining done. Good luck.

John

Last edited: