• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

painting hard plastic

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Any paint will stick to plastic if you use adheshion promoter. If you have a spray gun use PPG's DPX-801 works pretty well. You can buy spray cans of stuff if you don't have a spray gun. Go to autobody supply store , they will help you. Don't sand the plastic. Follow directions on the can.

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I used the adhesion promoter in a can. I would have had to buy too much to get the stuff to spray through my gun. plus, the guy told me it was the same stuff . Since I had it, I also sprayed my doorjambs, and any other spots I was worried about the paint sticking.

Nuke

Krylon (?) has a new product called "Fusion" that is suppose to: "bond to the plastic." Don't know if it any good or not.

71moore

Loc.
CHA TN
[quote author=Wzbell link=board=5;threadid=16132;start=0#msg122497 date=1049757137]
Anyone got any suggestions on a paint that will stick to hard plastic like a console?
[/quote]plastikote makes a new paint , check your local
body shop :)

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I think there are some good suggestions here but an important point being overlooked is which paints will melt any plastic parts they are used on.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I clean the plastic very well and use paint made for spraying vinyl ulpolstery. It will tend to fade a little in time but I will respray it again in about 5 years or so.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
[quote author=rusty truck link=board=5;threadid=16132;start=0#msg122635 date=1049813140]
I clean the plastic very well and use paint made for spraying vinyl ulpolstery. It will tend to fade a little in time but I will respray it again in about 5 years or so.
[/quote]

This is the point. Get a paint that is SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED for use with plastics. Any other "compatible" paint will be an experiment. DO NOT take the advise of a yahoo at AutoZone or base your decision on a label claim. Get a professional product designed for your specific material.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
[quote author=ASE-73 link=board=5;threadid=16132;start=0#msg122660 date=1049821212]
[quote author=rusty truck link=board=5;threadid=16132;start=0#msg122635 date=1049813140]
[/quote]

This is the point. Get a paint that is SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED for use with plastics. Any other "compatible" paint will be an experiment. DO NOT take the advise of a yahoo at AutoZone or base your decision on a label claim. Get a professional product designed for your specific material.
[/quote] That would be a good idea if they made paint specifically for plastic. Nothing is a guarentee when painting plastic , thats why they mold plastic in colors. Most interior paint for plastic is nothing more than just paint with some flattening agent in it. The adhesion promoter will soften the plastic so the paint will adhere to it. When you paint a rubber bumper or a plastic panel for a Saturn or any other plastic or rubber part, you don't call up autobody supply and order rubber bumper paint or plastic panel paint. You just order paint! It is up to the guy using it to know how to make it stick or flex. Yes there are types of plastic that will melt when you try to spray with automotive paint but all plastic that has a automotive purpose will be fine. Use the adhesion promoter ! Clean the plastic well , re clean with PPG's DX 103 multi prep ( some kind of alcohol based cleaner ), spray your adhesion promoter on the plastic, let it sit a few minutes, paint. You should be as good as it is going to get.
Don't sand the plastic ! If you do the adhesion promoter will swell the scratches and it will look like you sanded it with 80 grit sandpaper. Good luck