• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting hood ?'s and should i put SS hinges on?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Gona paint the hood white, but wondering if i should paint the underside black?

The truck is white, but i did paint the front inner clip black because white would just show all the grease and oil!

My truck is at my parents, but im wondering if the hood hinges are welded on? I would like to go with stainless hinges but if its more work than its worth than ill just paint the stock ones. Im afraid the paint will just chip off the hinge?

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Grinding off the old hinges and welding stainless ones back on would be a simple 15 minute job. But are the stainless hood hinges any good? If i paint the stock hinge will the paint crack off or not?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Yes they are welded. If you paint them with a lot of paint it will chip. On the advice of Allen on here I moved mine between each coat of base and clear with a pencil so they would not bind up and chip. I am not sure of the long term life but so far so good.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
What kind of wire/gas do you use to weld stainless to regular steel.

I would tig weld it with stainless rod! Why? we weld stainless and reg steel together all the time. And we use stainless rod on reg steel all the time also! Steel is steel, stainless welds nice, as does steel, tool steel, aluminized steel, and even galvanized steel, as does cast aluminum and cast steel! Thats what i like about our TIG welder...we have all kinds of different rods in different sizes, and when we reeally need to get serious we can plug the stinger in and stick weld right through paint and even on a old rusty bronco frame, no prep needed! Only thing i havent tryed welding is titanium.

On the advice of Allen on here I moved mine between each coat of base and clear with a pencil so they would not bind up and chip

Good advise. Ill just be using up my single stage white, so no clear, but non the less good advise. Allen has taught me a ton about painting!

Last edited:

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I drilled out the spot welds holding my painted hinges on and bolted stainless hinges in their place. No problems yet.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I would tig weld it with stainless rod! Why? we weld stainless and reg steel together all the time. And we use stainless rod on reg steel all the time also! Steel is steel, stainless welds nice, as does steel, tool steel, aluminized steel, and even galvanized steel, as does cast aluminum and cast steel! Thats what i like about our TIG welder...we have all kinds of different rods in different sizes, and when we reeally need to get serious we can plug the stinger in and stick weld right through paint and even on a old rusty bronco frame, no prep needed! Only thing i havent tryed welding is titanium.

Good advise. Ill just be using up my single stage white, so no clear, but non the less good advise. Allen has taught me a ton about painting!

Now you taught me something! I could have welded my stainless windshield frame to the windshield frame. %) Me and two other body men discussed using the spot welder but we decided to use panel bond.

BTW I would paint the underside of the hood black. I recently changed the color of my Bronco and wished I would have painted the whole underside of the engine compartment in black the first time around. It would have made the color change alot easier.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Thanks allen. it only makes sense not to paint the underside white unless a guy likes to clean ALOT! Black would be maintance free under the hood as it should be.

I think ill just paint the hinges and see what happens. I can always do stainless when i change the body color in a few years if i still see the need for unpainted stainless.

Sometimes i get too crazy...KISS...keep it simple stupid! I gota remind myself!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Now you taught me something! I could have welded my stainless windshield frame to the windshield frame. %) Me and two other body men discussed using the spot welder but we decided to use panel bond.

Used 1/8" x 3/8" Stainless/Stainless pop rivets on mine,
As for painting the underside, Well

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (Medium)_4.JPG
    DSCF0001 (Medium)_4.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Trick paint job REV! WOW never seen anything like it! You paint the black first then slide some paper under the cross supports or what! Thats cool!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Trick paint job REV! WOW never seen anything like it! You paint the black first then slide some paper under the cross supports or what! Thats cool!

That's how it's done. Did one for a customer also.

DSCF0022.jpg

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
thanks dube. I have yet to learn all my rod numbers or what they stand for. I wish i could find a simple chart to tape to the welder? I just grab what rod we have. I do know we need more ss rod and in a bigger dia (the 1/32" or 1/16" rod or whatever we have is WAY to small). I had to hold 3 or 4 pieces together when i did my exhaust, and that not easy when all the ends want to go different directions!

What is a good all around ss rod number to pick up?

My buddy that did some of my stick welding on the frame works down at the refinery, so he is really busy sometimes. If you need help with your builds let me know and maybe we can trade some labor? Im also a carpenter by trade so we could work something out that way also. I can weld pretty good but im always up for watching and learning more!!! Expecially need to learn how to use that new stinger we got that plugs into the TIG welder. Its never been used yet!

And if you ever need a reamer for the chebby TRE swap i just got mine in the mail!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
WOW REV! Now your pulling out all the stops! Im gona do that for sure! Thats trick looking! Is there no goop under the cross supports to glue it to the top panel?

Did you tape off the cross supports when you shot black or just scuff them before body color was shot on?

I keep looking at them pics. That so cool. never thought of doing it that way. When i first say the pic of the blue hood i was shocked at how sweet it was!

Last edited:

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
That is nice Rev.
The easiest way is to do it in base coat. Spray the color first, it doesn't matter if overspray gets where the black goes. Just get the braces covered. Let that dry, 30-45 minutes if not much air flow like in a garage. Tape off the braces with tape, spray the black base coat. Untape the braces and clear it.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
We sprayed the black, let it dry then just slid the paper in under the braces, scuffed the braces and sprayed the color. no tape!

KBUCK1

Grinding off the old hinges and welding stainless ones back on would be a simple 15 minute job. But are the stainless hood hinges any good? If i paint the stock hinge will the paint crack off or not?

If you can do that in 15 minutes then I need you to come to my house and teach me a few things. Probably 40-50 spot welds holding the hinge on

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
We sprayed the black, let it dry then just slid the paper in under the braces, scuffed the braces and sprayed the color. no tape!

Rev Nice Job. I just painted the Engine compartment THOUGHT I was done until I seen the pic. Dang I need to quit looking at the Pics it just makes more work for me. lol. Hope you don't mind a copy cat

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
If you can do that in 15 minutes then I need you to come to my house and teach me a few things. Probably 40-50 spot welds holding the hinge on

He was talking about the hood hinges. I have no idea what Ford was thinking when they installed the factory windshield hinges with all those welds. One every 4-5" would have been plenty.

KBUCK1

I see that now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was thinking he had a few tricks up his sleeve that I need to learn