• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting my hood and tailgate, need some tips

Razorbackbronco

So I've spent the better part of these past few days primering and blocking out my hood and tailgate. I should be able to lay the color down tomorrow and I'm looking for any tips you guys might have on how to hold them up. I have them on sawhorses but I'm trying to think of a good and easy way to suspend them up. I can't make anything real tall because I have my garage made into a booth with all sides and top wrapped in clear plastic.

I'm sure ill think of something but I thought Id ask first because I don't know how many times I've done something and then got on here and read a much easier way to do it!

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I have screwed eye bolts into the ceiling of my shop to attach wires to. I hang objects from there and it works pretty good.

u10072

Bronco Guru
If you hang the hood -- which is good if you are doing a garage job-- make sure you start on the the edges-- the edges can start to be impossible to see -- make sure the edges are all good and then start on the "body" of the part. It really pisses you off when you do a perfect job on the body just to learn you have a really thin area on an edge.

OP
OP
Razorbackbronco

Razorbackbronco

Lang, that's a good idea. Maybe I could cut a small hole where my wire would hang through the plastic.

Thanks for the tip on the edges! Didn't know that

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I painted the hood flat on saw horses. You can get great light on it and get the coverage really good.

For the tailgate I screwed a bolt in each end where the latches go. Then I put a ratchet strap on the bolts and hung it from the ceiling of my garage paint booth. That tgate is heavy!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. Well I've done several and I stand of a chair to get the hood. If it's To be one color. But I like to do my hoods black on the under side and the top color can then be set on saw horses. This really does make it better.