• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painting old dash?

redgoose99

I pulled the dash out on my '67 bronco to rewire with painless kit. Wasn't planning on repainting the dash, but after pulling it out and removing old wiring harness, I started noticing all the chips, scratches and superficial rust on the dash. Any one have tips on repainting or freshening up the dash. I'm not going for show quality, just making it look a little nicer for my weekend driver. Thanks.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Scuff it up really good. Hit it with some primer and paint over top. Any deep scratches or chips might require some feathering. But it all depends how far you want to take it. You can get really good results with just some elbow grease and spray cans.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Sand it with 120, fill/feather anything you want to address, prime it again then hit it with the paint of your choice.

Here’s a bonus…. Epoxy appliance paint works exceptionally well and is darn close match to Wimbledon White. It cures quickly to a hard coating and looks great.

This Is one I just did - not perfect but paint is awesome!

IMG_1496.jpeg

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If it is an original white dash then the proper color is Parchment, not Wimbledon White. But WW is pretty close and not many people will know the difference!

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Sandblasting, primer and paint. Don't forget to reverse the glove compartment and speaker like in jeffnics photo above. Even if you don't have a cage, it's just better.

I did the grinding/welding and took the dash to a body shop for finish paint in Parchment (I suck at painting)

Wonder if anyone has ever power-coated a dash?

THX,
-John