• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parking brake cable?

Jaybr

Contributor
I ordered new parking brake cables from Rock Auto and the right rear housing is too short. The part I got is raybestos bc92573.

Anyone know the correct cable for a 74?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
I am not sure of the raybestos brand but all the other vendors the right is 4" longer than the left.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
I’ll check it again tomorrow, maybe I crossed them when installed and have them backwards but it seems like I need more than an inch.

Do I need different cables with the disc brake conversion?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey yeah whats up with this. My new cables bought 5 years ago, never adjusted until yesterday, the right rear is to long by almost 2 inches, and the front is too short by about 2 inches. No they are not in the wrong place like my calipers:) So my parking bracket is almost 45 degrees from plumb, and i had to use a 3 inch long threaded rod and coupler because of the short front section from the bar, to make do for the short term.

Or is left to short making it look like front is to short?

Seems like there should be no way to screw this up other than they are trying to sell us cables off another vehicle as close enough. Each side should have identical cable length out front and back of houseing, just the housing is different lengths.

Ideas?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you know what you want, you could get some custom cables from www.controlcables.com. I've used them on a few muscle car applications and I thought the quality was good for the price.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Seems like there should be no way to screw this up other than they are trying to sell us cables off another vehicle as close enough. Each side should have identical cable length out front and back of houseing, just the housing is different lengths.

The passenger side is several inches longer than the driver side. The links to CJ Pony Parts that I posted above are exactly the same length as OEM cables.

They also carry the center cable from the pedal to the equalizer. I did not replace that cable on my Bronco, but considering the left and right sides were the exact correct length, I see no reason why the center cable would be wrong length.

There are two different style center cables used on 75-77

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Stock ebrake cables won't work at all with rear discs. Discs require a completely different setup and mounting bracket.

Any info as to what I need?

The driver side looks like it will work just fine, passenger side is short but fittings look right.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
I just pulled my stock cable out of the scrap pile and it’s 47”, the new one is 37”

Jfryjfry

I just ordered a few from Autozone to see what would fit best for our 3” or so lifted eb. Let me know how long you are looking for and I can measure these and send the part number of any that look right

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
I looked at the parts listing for a 76/77 and the cable housing is 53” instead of 37. Seems that one may fit. I’m going to crawl under my 76 in the morning and compare the setup.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Crawled under the 76 and the parking brake setup is identical to the 74. Ordered the longer 76 cable and will report back on the fit when it arrives.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Received the 76 right side cable and it fit perfect.

Haven’t checked the main cable yet as it’s working and I don’t feel like messing with it.