• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Passenger door locked and no key?

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
How can I open the passenger side door if it is locked and I dont have a key? I have the interior panel off but am stuck from there. Help!

Matt

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Pull the little knob up from the drivers side. :cool: Sorry I feel like a smart ass today. With the pannel off you should be able to grab the lock bar and move it up with your hand. If it is still stuck the problem may be in the latch itself. If so soak it over night with PB blaster and work it in the morning. If the lock tumblers are broke you will have to pull the retaining rin off from inside the door and get a new lock, but you should be able to disconnect the locking bar from the lock or the door latch and get it loose.

bludorbronc

with the window up you should be able to feel for the rod going up to the lock and lift up.

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I can see and feel the rod going to the lock so I will try lifting up on that and see if it works thanks

Matt

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
if it is the lock itself a good lock smith might be cheaper than getting a new one. my smithy charged me all of $10 to fix a broken tumbler

OP
OP
mattyq17

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
I have disconnected the rod from the lock and the lock moves fine, I think it is in the latch itself

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just ran into this problem , the key wouldn't work anyways. My door handles went out of adjustment and would no longer work from outside the truck. So I eyeballed how they worked , adjusted the clevis so it was good and snug , and presto ! smoothest working door handles ever. Then the lock got pushed down somehow and DAMN ! , doors wouldn't open because of the locking mechanism , key or otherwise . Turns out you need to have a little slop in the action of the opening rods. Loosened the clevis a few turns and everything works great now. What a serious PITA though , my cage blocks several of the screws holding the sheetmetal on. Plus working on a Bronco's door interior while the door is shut ..... need I say more.