• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Passenger door won't unlock - son yanked on it

dhendriksen

So yesterday I took the passenger side door panel off, tweaked a few things and got the outside door handle working.

Well, today my son and I run an errand - he has has arm hanging out the window and locked the door. We get where we're going and he starts yanking on the door handle like he's in a room filled with water and he's about to take his last breath...he then starts simultaneously yanking on the door lock. Now - the door is locked will not open. I cannot unlock it.

I'm trying to fathom how I can remove the door panel and get my big meathooks in there with the door closed. Any tricks to try and get this thing unlocked that will hopefully fix whatever he did, but if not at least allow me to get the door open so I can repair it?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Once you get the arm rest, window crank, paddle handle, door cup, and panel off, there's a manual lever on the latch that will open the door regardless of whether or not it's locked.

OP
OP
dhendriksen

dhendriksen

Once you get the arm rest, window crank, paddle handle, door cup, and panel off, there's a manual lever on the latch that will open the door regardless of whether or not it's locked.
Thank you. Can you think of anything I might be able to do to get it unlocked without having to remove the arm rest, window crank, paddle handle, door cup and panel? With the door closed, that's going to be a nightmare. Maybe I can use a coat hanger or something to try and jimmy the lock?

OP
OP
dhendriksen

dhendriksen

Ok. I’ve got everything removed. Door still stuck closed. Any further direction as to what this latch is? I obviously can’t see in there but can reach. I can’t get anything to break it loose.

Here’s a pic in there: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0a5fc84bhNXpzSNvX7Vs5wOQQ

OP
OP
dhendriksen

dhendriksen

Alright - I only lost a little blood but I got it open. However, when I lock it then it won’t unlock. I need to crane my head around now that it’s open and see what I can figure out.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
If you want to save yourself a lot of aggravation, go ahead and take that latch out of the door and clean it, lube it, and adjust it. Grease, and oil and dirt, that has dried and baked on it for decades can cause all kinds of problems, like the one you found today.

OP
OP
dhendriksen

dhendriksen

If you want to save yourself a lot of aggravation, go ahead and take that latch out of the door and clean it, lube it, and adjust it. Grease, and oil and dirt, that has dried and baked on it for decades can cause all kinds of problems, like the one you found today.
Thank you. As of right now, the problem is that the passenger side door will lock, but will not unlock.

awest5321

Contributor
Loc.
Exit 79 on I85
So yesterday I took the passenger side door panel off, tweaked a few things and got the outside door handle working.

Well, today my son and I run an errand - he has has arm hanging out the window and locked the door. We get where we're going and he starts yanking on the door handle like he's in a room filled with water and he's about to take his last breath...he then starts simultaneously yanking on the door lock. Now - the door is locked will not open. I cannot unlock it.

I'm trying to fathom how I can remove the door panel and get my big meathooks in there with the door closed. Any tricks to try and get this thing unlocked that will hopefully fix whatever he did, but if not at least allow me to get the door open so I can repair it?
Went through this same headache awhile back. Aftermarket seats did not help the situation. Was able to finally get to the door panel screws with a very short screwdriver and needle nose vice grip pliers. Took door lock rod off the door after it happened the second time. Got a set of used door latches at Super cell this year but haven't installed yet. I like the mod where the inside handle will always unlock the door but haven't quite figured out how to fab up the pieces to make this work. Hope to be able to get started swapping latches out soon so I will have a truck that will be more secure. Hate not having working locks on any vehicle.

OP
OP
dhendriksen

dhendriksen

Thanks everyone. I’ve got the door panel off. My plan is to yank the latch out and go through it. Replace if needed. Once I get it out I should be able to see what the problem is.

OP
OP
dhendriksen

dhendriksen

I pulled the latch out and figured out what was going on. All is well again.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For posterity, anyone else dealing with a stuck door. Push this little tab to the rear. I’ve been driving mine for two weeks having to reach inside and use this method to open the door.

Attachments

• IMG_5314.jpeg
    IMG_5314.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 23