• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Passenger drop D60 in an EB

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Just curious if anyone has seen this done in an early Bronco?

While retaining the coils and trac bar / radius arm suspension, but maybe not the stock "C" wedge arms...

Yah, a new t-case would be needed.

Just day dreamin a bit... Got a line on a cheap Dodge D60.
TIA.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Havent seen it but it could be done. You could also consider swapping the axle tubes around but that is a lot of work. considering most D60's have a very low pinion lower than just about any other axle out there and with a short front drive shaft and the amount of lift needed to clear the 60. You may need to rotate the knuckles anyways. You could put C wedges on JD sells them just for this purpose.

Ezride

Loc.
Lynnwood
I had a Chev 44 with the C. The track bar was the big proplem. there was no were to mount it. Then a chev D60 four linked with a t-18 and a D300. Now it's a Hp ford 60

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Wow, that was fast, thanks guys! I suppose anything is possible...

EZride, did you resolve the track bar issue, and how? Or did you have to go to a triangulated 4-link?

Ezride

Loc.
Lynnwood
I ended up going to a four link. I kept breaking axles and joints in the 44. I had a narrowed 44 so my room after the c were put on was minimal. That and the spring perch got in the way. So no i never got it the way i wanted it. I think on a full width axle it would have worked.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
My friend used to have one, but he also have a Chevy 350 + drivetrain.

Its very easy to retube that dodge 60 into a Driver drop. My friends and I have retubed a couple Ford 60's to be Passenger side drops.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I don't see why not but something to take in account is the Ford motor is shifted towards the pass side. There would be less room for the pumpkin to stuff up in there. Reversing the mounts off the frame might work. Gotta make sure the t-case is gunna fit if you don't.

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Welndmn, what widths did you retube to - stock Chev or Dodge shaft lengths? Did you sleeve or completely re-tube?

Hmm, pumpkin to oil pan could be a problem, but with a 60 I imagine 37's are the minimum tire required for decent clearance, and thus a fair bit of lift too, so it might clear.

Good point on the drivetrain being offset to the passenger side, I recall noticing that when re-assembling my rolling chassis... That would likely cause more problems with a passenger drop t-case... Ezride, did you have any issues with the 300? Did you keep the stock Ford engine and mounts?

Ezride

Loc.
Lynnwood
I put the motor mount's on myself, so i put the motor where i needed it. The 300 worked fine the levers were right on the passanger side of the tranny hump.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
They were custom lengths, I think its was 63 WMS wide, then just got custom shafts for it.
We just cut down the longside, then it became the new shortside.
Then removed and re tubed the whole shortside, to then be the long side.
We used 1/2 wall DOM for it, and it was $$$, I think we spent 80$ on 4 feet.