• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Passenger Seat Storage

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
I hate the way the passenger seat mounts and I have been toying with the idea of a lockable storage drawer. I sure this is not a new topic and I found some ideas.

I saw WildChilds product, but I don't like it opening out the side. I would like it in front. Long arms can access it while driving. ;D

I found Carchie website http://www.carchie.classicbroncos.com/photo.html and saw his concept. Which I like, it looks like he raised it up to better utilize the area under the seat.

I thought one could ultimately be welded/line-x in place and give the appearance of being factory. Has anyone perfected this idea?

THXS

Attachments

• storage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 401

broncnut

I think tom's bronco's use to sell something like that. I have one somewhere that I bought about 12 yrs ago and never installed. If I find it I'll post a pic

Terry

Galt72

Contributor
I've got something like that installed on mine. Bought it years ago but no longer recall from whom. It looks like the front of your box is lifted. You will want it flat as to avoid your head being in the roof.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I've been looking for the same thing, one that has a sliding lockable drawer would be cool. Maybe one of the fabricators could make one for us. Anyone?

OP
OP
Fathom

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Thanks Broncitis, But I am not happy with Wild Child's design. It won't work with a roadster option and the driver would have to either climb over or pull over and get out, walk around to access it. I am lazy....

The only advantage I see is with the door closed it would hide it.

Brewdude, thanks for the link. I never saw that product before.
Do you think 12-gauge steel is thick enough to support the seat brackets?

Thanks all for the input!

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I agree and have thought the same things. I'd prefer a front opening for the same reasons, but did not know if others felt the same way.

My trail rig runs inserts year around as well.

(I just re-read your post and see you had looked at these, I jumped right to your link and pic, I'm the viusal type I guess, either that or trying to get some amount of work done while surfing three forums and two email lists it catching up with me! ) ;)

12 Ga. is .105" and is pretty heavy for sheetmetal (For reference, the frame on the EB is 10 Ga (.135"). Think it would be plenty strong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fathom

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Broncitis, thanks for the Gauge comparison, When I hear "12 gauge", I think Shot Gun!

Bronco Sport, I would think some aftermarket tilt systems would work once the area is flattened by a storage drawer. Though some research will need to be done.

Reading other threads regarding seat spreaders, I would consider not even mounting my seat to the Storage Drawer. But the additional height concerns me.

As Ed A mention, Head Room. I am 6'2" and I have a hard enough time seeing out the windshield....

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Broncitis said:
Here is something very similar offerd by Wild Child. Sam also makes some cool storage for the dash and tailgate that some of you may like as well.

http://www.awildchild.com/store1.htm
Seems you could cover it with carpet and wouldn't know it was a compartment until you opened the door.

Attachments

• wild childseatbox1.jpg
    wild childseatbox1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 234

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
Fathom said:

Brewdude, thanks for the link. I never saw that product before.
Do you think 12-gauge steel is thick enough to support the seat brackets?

Thanks all for the input!

They work fine here is a couple of pics of mine installed (sorry the pics are big) pic1 pic2

michael welch

Loc.
kent, washington
under seat storage

Started with (bronco part)storage box, nice heavy 10 gauge piece, then filled in front cut in a 10x10 hole in top added 1/2x1/2 angle all around floor and lid forming a curb interlocking edge thing added two tabs on one side that slid under floor edge added a cam lock to other side. Had floor lid inside box spray with liner. Used stock seating (tilt&tumble)> Created a spot for locking up pistol or other stuf. If you need more add padlock to seat release.

michael welch

Loc.
kent, washington
pas.st. stor

I have lots of pictures but no easy way to show. But any way, the floor become a mirror image of the driverside the bronco part part was designed to be welded in but open in the front. I sealed the front up making it a water tite box after cutting a hole in the top making the cutout into a lid like a shoe box the lid is removable but very lockable. I wanted a good secure storage spot besides my tuffy box. Oh shorten the outside seat bracket hinge to match other mike

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Funny I should just read this.....I just got installing the Bronco Parts passenger seat box not 15 minutes ago!! It is plenty strong, and built like a tank. The one I bought, I just bought off E-bay for a screaming good deal. I also bought one from Bronco Parts about a year ago for another project.

I thought about putting a hinged door on the front (opening is toward your feet). We shall see...

I opted to bolt mine in place, rather than weld it in. It comes with about 20 predrilled holes, but I only used three on each attaching side...drilled them out to 3/8. My install was a little crooked--would have been nice to have a helping hand.

I highly recommend the Bronco Parts piece......

OP
OP
Fathom

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Thanks Guys,

I think I will deffinately look at modifying Bronco Parts piece by mounting a drawer inside it. The only problem is $70.00.......

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i just went down to linens'n'thing and payed $6.00 for a cheap stackable style drawer and slid it under the seat. it's not lockable, but it works. tuffy makes a nice glove box replacement now.