• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Perforated Fender Skirt Install, Finally Solved My Engine Temp Issue!!! WITH PICS!!!

asabadin

Loc.
L.A.CALI NO THIEVES
Well, After Adjusting My Timing Getting A High Vulome Water Pump New Thermostat And Fan Shroud, Rebuilding My 4core Radiator, My Rig Was Still Running Hot At Slow Speeds Or While At Idle For A While . I Talked To Scott From American Bronco. He Told Me That His New Product Would Reduce The Engine Compartment Heat By At Least 10 Degrees. The Install Was On!! Headed Down His Way Last Saturday, Install Took Us About 2 Hours. Easy Install. I Elected To Paint Mine Flat Black(not Really The Bling Bling Type). You Cannot Even Tell They Are In Unless You Look Up Close!! Elected To Drill Some Extra Holes So I Can Remount My Inner Fenders I Cut Out For Cold Weather Or If I Ever Decide To Do Some Deep Mud Bogging. Ok, Ok On To The Results A+++++++!!!! My Engine Temp Would Hit 220 Degrees, It Has Not Been Over 190 Degrees Since The Install Even Under The Most Extreme Conditions!!!! Bumper To Bumper In 90 Degree Weather And A Steady 6 To 8 Mile Climb Over The Cajon Pass In About 8o Degree Weather In Traffic!!! Did Some Light Offroad Climbs But Ran At Low Rpms Undre Stress For About 1 Hour . Like I Said The Temp Never Went Over 190 Degrees!!!

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

cowl hood did the same for me-- without water & mud coming from the inner fender well into the engine compartment---

OP
OP
asabadin

asabadin

Loc.
L.A.CALI NO THIEVES
Mine Still Looks Original

DO NOT REALLY LIKE THE HACKED UP HOOD TYPE OF MODS, DO NOT REALLY LIKE WHEN BRONCOS LOOK LIKE CAMAROS!!! JUST KIDDIN!!! THEE INNER FENDER WELL GIVES 4 TIMES THE AIR FLOW AT A STANSTILL THAN A COWL TYPE HOOD

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Is this the same outfit that they did the article with in the latest issue of Bronco Driver? It mentioned that he didn't yet have skirts available for 76-77 models, and I was wondering if he did yet. Does he have a website? Info man, we need info! ;D

Sabas

Scott is the same guy mentioned in the Bronco Driver Article. I was @ his place on Sat. Morning getting my twin stick adjusted. The install is very quick & easy.

MsMyMny

Loc.
So Cal
Unregistered said:
cowl hood did the same for me-- without water & mud coming from the inner fender well into the engine compartment---

A cowl induction hood works when there is some air flow over the hood, You typically don’t get much temperature reduction with cowl induction hood since there is minimal air flow at crawling speeds.

Even the stock fender skirts won't hold back water. As far as the mud... the majority of it still gets stuck up in the wheel well and not on the motor. But if your running deep sticky mud I would plan on it getting everywhere with or without the perforated fender skirts.

Scott Merrell
www.americanbronco.com

J

J--------

when I took the drivetrain of my truck apart there was lots of dry crud all over the transfer case area from where the driver side tire fling's it up because the inner wheel well does not come down all the way in the back, I made a cut a piece poly plastic sheet & bolted to the back of the whell well area to seal that gap, the last thing I would do is open to more exposure with those cut out things, -- I have a electric flexalite black magic fan (4 inches thick) with the explorer serpentine setup then the proflow hood with the back cut out , with it just idling there is plenty of heat rushing out the cowl opening-- and the engine compartment is super clean

MsMyMny

Loc.
So Cal
Well…
My tires fling stuff all over, whether I have the stock skirts or the perforated skirts, I expect it and welcome it, its part of the off road experience.

The perforated Fender skirts are a lot more economical than an electric flexlite fan, Explorer serpentine set-up and an Induction hood. But they all support the goal of keeping that motor cool under extreme conditions.
BTW
The engine bay only has to be clean enough for manifold burritos.

Scott
www.americanbronco.com

MsMyMny

Loc.
So Cal
Gummi Bear said:
Is this the same outfit that they did the article with in the latest issue of Bronco Driver? It mentioned that he didn't yet have skirts available for 76-77 models, and I was wondering if he did yet. Does he have a website? Info man, we need info! ;D

www.americanbronco.com
562-569-1991
Ask for Scott

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
J-------- said:
when I took the drivetrain of my truck apart there was lots of dry crud all over the transfer case area from where the driver side tire fling's it up because the inner wheel well does not come down all the way in the back, I made a cut a piece poly plastic sheet & bolted to the back of the whell well area to seal that gap, the last thing I would do is open to more exposure with those cut out things, -- I have a electric flexalite black magic fan (4 inches thick) with the explorer serpentine setup then the proflow hood with the back cut out , with it just idling there is plenty of heat rushing out the cowl opening-- and the engine compartment is super clean

Thats not me

OP
OP
asabadin

asabadin

Loc.
L.A.CALI NO THIEVES
I Guess Some People Like To Pay $3,000.00 Dollars For Something That Can Be Fixed For About $200.00 Dollars. Oh Well There Are People Who Pay Department Store Prices And There Are People Who Shop Around For Good Deals And Than There Is The Average Bronco Owner, Who Finds The Guy Who Works For The Department Store And Sells It Out Of His House For Beer Money!!!!! Well Most Of Us Are Average Bronco Owners Hence Me Fixing My Problem For 200.00 And YOU FIXING YOURS FOR $2,000.00-$3,000.00 Dollars, At The Same Time I'M Keeping A Stock Look And Not Making My Bronco Look Like A Camaro In The Process!!!!

If You Plan On Doing Any Snorkeling In The Mud I Have Found A Wetsuit And Fins, MASK AND SNORKLE Works Better Than A Early Bronco!!!!

U

Unregistered

did not even cost a 1/3 of $3000.00 ,even if you are not good at math you should make a better estimate than that , some people like to do things right & other's always want to afroengineer stuff , those cutouts are a cheap solution but the results of more s&*T flying in the engine compartment SUCKS PERIOD, if you want crap like that go down to home depot & get the materiAL for guarding gutters it is a lot cheaper than that guy's stuff, a cowl hood is the only way to get needed clearance & airflow without getting water directly on the motor ,water coming in stay's on the lip by the windshield

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
Unregistered said:
did not even cost a 1/3 of $3000.00 ,even if you are not good at math you should make a better estimate than that , some people like to do things right & other's always want to afroengineer stuff , those cutouts are a cheap solution but the results of more s&*T flying in the engine compartment SUCKS PERIOD, if you want crap like that go down to home depot & get the materiAL for guarding gutters it is a lot cheaper than that guy's stuff, a cowl hood is the only way to get needed clearance & airflow without getting water directly on the motor ,water coming in stay's on the lip by the windshield
I think you both need to chill. This place if for us to help and encourage each other is times of need and in my case confusion. We all do things different and we all cant aford the same but we all can get along. If you havent noticed alot of the older guys arent posting much anymore and the sqawking might have something to do with it. If you got this much time to act like girls than your bronco must be alot better off than mine. And what do you know the one guy cant add and I cant spell Who gives a shit. Be kind or dont be at all. Not entended to offend or make anybody mad just my 02!

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Agreed.
someone had a engine temp problem.. found a solution and shared it.
someone else has an alternative and pros/cons about it.

End of story.
Neither needs to be right or wrong.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I think the "Unregistered" guy needs to register or sign in so we know who he is. Without the reputation that identifiable posters here earn over time, your opinion means nothing.

Second, please tell us what part of the country you're in. If you get a lot of rain and mud, that might make more of a difference in your decision to get or not get the perforated panels. Here in Southern California, where the guy who originally posted, and the guy who sells the panels is from, it is very rarely wet. And even when it does rain we usually don't have much in the way of lingering mud. It is also very hot here during certain times of the year. If you live back east or in the PNW, your cooling needs are going to be different than what we deal with out here.

The biggest obstacles to cooling a Bronco in my experience have been controlling under-hood temperatures, and getting airflow through the radiator and engine compartment. The perforated panels that Scott sells address all of those issues. The biggest contributor to under-hood heat are the headers. The perforated panels provide ventilation right at the headers rather than requiring that hot air to move around through the engine compartment to exit up through the cowl holes. Also, at speed there is positive pressure in the cowl area of the hood (that's why its called cowl INduction), which will actually hinder or reverse outward airflow through the cowl holes. The fender panels work regardless of vehicle speed.

I run with no inner fenders at all. Yes as I said this is So Cal and we rarely have rain, but still I have not had any problems with dirt, sand, mud, rocks or anything else flinging onto my engine or anything else under the hood. Like I said your mileage may vary if you live in a different part of the country, but to just arbitrarily proclaim that a fix that has worked for many of us is a "band-aid" or "afroengineering" (nice racist comment, by the way) is both arrogant and ignorant.

Dusty

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
well said dusty.
"can't we all just get along?"
looks to be a good product that functions well. purchaser was happy with his buy, can't ask for much more than that.
nick

Hogback

it sounds like there may be other problems if it tends to run that hot. maybe a lot of corrosion somewhere either in the engine aor radiator. May think about chasing that down later on.

U

Unregistered

THE main reason I do not register is there are criminal's that target website like these for clues to potential target's , this is common on the mustang websites looking to see who has done what to the vehicles then trying to hone in on where they live, second I do not care about my internet chat reputation , as far as my opinion take it or leave it will not hurt my feeling's, the internet like a library has lot's of good info & just as much bad it's up to you to sift through it all and come up with your own conclusion's, there are plenty of old timer's & so called professional's that have misguided people with there solutions, the problems I HAD with cooling were at low speed's which the hood helped and it didn't make it start running hot at speed once the hood was install it just helped expell the heat at low speed like those cut up the fender well thing's & yes I have headers, I guess your right they may work in California mister narly dude but everywhere else we have an assortment of weather, as far as being ignorant yes I am as I'm still waiting for that state to crack at the fault line and float away