• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Photos of rear hangers plated 4" back & Cage 5.5" lift

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
OK its getting late and I'm almost done with this project. Over the weekend and today (took the day off) I stretched the rear D70 axle back 4". I also installed the Cage 5.5" lift with the extended radius arms on the HPD60. These are the weld on axle brackets. I had to make a side bracket off the weld on bracket to help bring the coils under the bronco so they are not so bowed. I also pushed the front 1" forward. Tomorrow I'll get photos of the truck outside to show the overall length gain. The garage needs lighting bad and I haven't cut the wheel wells out yet. I think the camera is having some issues but htis is what I can show I guess...

First photo shows how far off the stock shock mount is sitting at rest (5.5" lift). I'll grind off the mount and twist it more verticle or even 1:00 to help down travel.

This shows the plate on the front hanger. I already painted it black so ts tough to see. There was no way to clamp this bracker to the frame so I added the center brace so I could clamp and tap into position.

Rear hanger/plate.

Rear hanger at end of frame.

Front coil with side bracket

Cage weld on bracket.

Raised trac bar bracket not yet finished. I'm using my old trac bar for now until I get a longer one. Otherwise the truck wan't to tip over without...%)

Another photo...

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I am extremely interested in your input on the performance of the cage arms with the weld on style brackets, be sure to let us know.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Looks good. I can't wait to see pictures of it in the day light.

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I'll let you know as soon as the u-bolts for the other side come in (1 week).
I seemed to only buy 1 pr. and just realized it last night. :-X Either way I need to build the steering and trac bar before I go anywhere. I'd like to use the Chevy ends but I do have 6ea. 3/4" heims sitting around. Which way should I go, I could add the press in/ weld on end cones (which I can do) or have the rods tapped (machine shop)?

Oh yeah and the t-case needs to be raised 1/2" as its slightly touching the top frame bracket & will provide a bit more room for the 1" bolt.

So far I can see the coils seem super soft. I'm wondering what shocks my buddy runs cause his stiffened up slightly fromt he WH rockcrawlers.
I don't have the shocks in so when I bounce the front it keeps bouncing for quite some time. The Duff coils I ran before didn't do this as much. Also noticed now having heims at the end of the radius arm and being longer, without the trac bar in the truck want to tip to one side real easy. My old set up even with the wristed arm pin pulled I could take off the trac bar without it leaning over. So yeah, I'm super excited as it seems to be exactly what I wanted. ;D

I'll pull it out tonight with fenders cut or not.

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Looks great. I'm definitely rethinking the plate that I just filled in my rears with. I like the extra beef to it. Can't wait to see the pics.

Mike

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
OK my camera definately sucks although its bright & sunny here in Washington :cool: .

Anyway, I'll take some tonight if I have time when the sun is down and see if that helps cause some of the other shaded photos came out fine. These will give an idea of what she looks like. I knew those polished aluminum rock rings were going to be a bit bright in the day...

Didn't get a chance to trim the fenders yet so this will give an idea of how far back it is.

I have 1.5" wheel spacers for the rear axle I'll be putting on to equal to the front width.

This shows a better photo of the rear hanger to the end of the frame.

This is for kicks cause I think I should replace it (steering sector shaft) :eek:

crawln68

Bronco Guru
That looks awesome. It will look even better once you cut the rear fender to match! Yikes! :eek: I think you should replace that sector shaft asap.

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I might have to fix it after SOB but it would sure suck to break in the sand at 60mph.
I just purchased the stone crusher steering/trac bar, front driveline and drive flanges (wife's gettin pissy).

MikeEB

Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
68 Broncoholic said:
(wife's gettin pissy).

I may very well have to steal this for my signature, because at this point it is generally implied in ALL my posts ;D .

How are you going to run the steering? Hi-steer or just TRO? Also, are you planning on ram-assist or what?

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Yeah, its funny how it works out with the women and our Broncos. She's been wanting me to put that kind of money into her %) .

I'm probably going to do TRO for now but might add a high steer arm on the pass knuckle for the drag link to reduce angle.
I'll know more when the steering and trac bar shows up if I can get the trac bar to align with it. I need ram assist badly but thats gunna have to wait until I sell the 74.