• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pictures of Flat Tow set ups

custom-cruiser

Loc.
Boise,ID
I have these mounts welded to the bumper but had an "Incident" flat towing in February so I bought a trailer.

Picture083.jpg

rtj731

I flat towed over the Smoky Mountains, with an Blue OX tow bar, pricey, half of what a good trailer cost, draw back is you can not back up (at all) also you have to remove/disconnect the rear drive shaft. I went out an got a trailer.

I used the jeep front mounts you can purchase anywhere bolted to a flat bumper, I got away with it but would never do again
my nickel
J
(ps) electric trailer brakes are a good thing

OP
OP
D

dirtslinger

Loc.
Torrance
I have a trailer, it's just too long and inconvient some times. It would be nice if we're just traveling to a camp ground or something to just hook it up and not have to load it on and off the trailer.

My friends tow their "heep" everywhere and it's really convenient for them.

rtj731

I have a trailer, it's just too long and inconvient some times. It would be nice if we're just traveling to a camp ground or something to just hook it up and not have to load it on and off the trailer.

My friends tow their "heep" everywhere and it's really convenient for them.

Yes, my original thought process as well, as I had seen countless others towing there vehicles behind their RV's. But the Bronco is kinda heavy and the hassle of disconnecting the drive shaft and not being able to back up took it's toll.

My tow vehicle is a small 26' Rv and rides a lot better and safer with a trailer.

OP
OP
D

dirtslinger

Loc.
Torrance
I hear ya, I'm gonna be pulling it with a diesel pusher, It won't even notice it back there, even when braking.

rtj731

I hear ya, I'm gonna be pulling it with a diesel pusher, It won't even notice it back there, even when braking.

Do it, think you will be fine. If your looking for a tow bar PM me as I have had the blue OX for several years collecting dust. I can get you the model # if you want

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I just made up some brackets to hook up an old Reese tow bar that i've had for years.My son made some 2" spacers to bolt it to the push bar.They are threaded all the way thru. I've never towed the Bronco before so Tuesday was the maiden voyage. It seemed to track well and didn't do anything that would make me think it won't work.
I've towed my CJ5 a lot with my motorhome,so I know that won't be a problem.
Here are some pics (kind of hard to see)

Attachments

• IMG_20110802_174405-1.jpg
    IMG_20110802_174405-1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20110802_174508.jpg
    IMG_20110802_174508.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20110802_174405.jpg
    IMG_20110802_174405.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 71

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Do it, think you will be fine. If your looking for a tow bar PM me as I have had the blue OX for several years collecting dust. I can get you the model # if you want

You should consider this, if you don't have a tow bar already. If you are going to tow your Bronco more than once a year, these type of tow bars really make it easy. If your towing with a pusher, then you have more of a chance of getting into a situation where you have to back up, so, you have to disconnect and reconnect, the Blue Ox Tow bar is worth every penny. I'll post some pics on Fri. of my bumper and tow bar.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
miikee73
I've never flat-towed anything, so I'm curious... Why wouldn't you use a single 2" square tow bar in the front receiver? It seems like it would be MUCH stronger than that brush guard. I realize it would have to be articulated at the Bronco end, but it still seems stronger & simpler.

And what does "towing with a pusher" mean? ?:?

OP
OP
D

dirtslinger

Loc.
Torrance
My motorhome is a diesel pusher, meaning the diesel engine is in the rear of the coach rather than the front.

I used to flat tow a VW baja bug all over to the so cal deserts, it was always pretty easy and worked well, until I rolled it and pretty much destroyed it.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Quote miikee73
I've never flat-towed anything, so I'm curious... Why wouldn't you use a single 2" square tow bar in the front receiver? It seems like it would be MUCH stronger than that brush guard. I realize it would have to be articulated at the Bronco end, but it still seems stronger & simpler.
I've never thought of a stinger type tow bar(don't think I've ever seen one) the push bar is bolted thru the frame rails with 5/8 ths grade 8's. My concern is with the bar itself ,it's rated at 5000 pounds. My trip this time is almost all flatland ,so this will be my trial run.