• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PINION BEARING (quick question)

Bartonatl

Loc.
Atlanta
Third member was pouring lube out where the yoke is. Pulled it and the ..pinion bearing?? was trashed. pieces were everywhere. My question is did this happen because of its age and it was time or what could have caused it to fail. When I get the new one in, I don't want a similar failure. It seemed to drive fine prior to the failure. There was no vibration in the drive shaft. I have a 302, auto, w/35's . It was a 3.50 rear and I'm going to a 4.11 . What do you think? Thanks,
Russell in Atlanta

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I think a lot of pinion set ups fail due to improper crush sleeve installation. If the crush sleeve is not properly installed the force from use will cause the pre load to go away and become loose. This works the seal and bearing until they fail. I am a huge fan of a solid spacer in place of the crush sleeve. If your setting up new gears use a solid spacer.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Solid spacers are a better idea than a crush sleeve. Depending on how old the bearings are, for around the past 10-15 years, bearing quality has not been the greatest. They tend to wear more quickly even you they are installed "perfectly".