• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pinion Depth After Replacing Seal?

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Fellas -

How do you prefer to set pinion depth after changing the pinion seal? Just torque to spec and call it good? Or do you like to use in inch/pounds torque wrench method?

Is there any other way out there that I'm missing?

Thanks

Scott

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
Your not setting pinion depth, you are setting preload on the pinion bearing. Assuming a 9" rear, pinion depth doesn't change when just replacing the pinion seal. You should use a new crush sleeve though, but if carefull of the torque you tighten the pinion nut back to, it can be reused.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
that's bearing preload. pinion depth is set with pinion shims on the pinion housing.
if it's the existing crush sleeve, instructions says install a new crush sleeve, if it shims just reuse them. We just did this a couple of days ago and just reused the crush sleeve, replaced seal and tighten it all back up, some controlled zaps of the battery impact wrench, checked for play and bearing preload (rotation with inch-lbs torque wrench). Called it good. Test driving this weekend.

Attachments

• 122491729_10218566197852263_5563506767162966540_o.jpg
    122491729_10218566197852263_5563506767162966540_o.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 19

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
The redneck method I use is to count the threads before removing the nut and put back at the same spot. I usually mark the nut flat and the top of the pinion shaft with a white marker for reference. Not the correct way but it has never failed me.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The redneck method I use is to count the threads before removing the nut and put back at the same spot. I usually mark the nut flat and the top of the pinion shaft with a white marker for reference. Not the correct way but it has never failed me.

^^^^^^This is what I've seen guys do instead of taking it all apart to check specs. Carefully count turns removing the nut.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
that's bearing preload. pinion depth is set with pinion shims on the pinion housing.
if it's the existing crush sleeve, instructions says install a new crush sleeve, if it shims just reuse them. We just did this a couple of days ago and just reused the crush sleeve, replaced seal and tighten it all back up, some controlled zaps of the battery impact wrench, checked for play and bearing preload (rotation with inch-lbs torque wrench). Called it good. Test driving this weekend.

Getting jiggy with the impact can cause problems if it's got a crush sleeve. Makes the rear lock up in front of the local strip bar.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford tech guy here, I use a sharp chisel to make a mark on the end of the pinon shaft and on the nut so you can line them up during install so they're back in the same spot.