• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pitman Arm Puller For Power Steering Box??

BroncoPoor

Which pitman arm pullers are you using? Most of the units i have found are not large enough to fit around the arm.

broncosam

Bronco Guru
When I ran into that same problem, I took my 4 inch grinder and ground a little off each side of the pitman arm just enough so that the puller would fit on it.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I use a large 3 jaw gear puller and wire the jaws together. Works great and I can use it for other stuff too unlike a dedicated pitman arm puller.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought a large 2-jaw puller at Sears when I did mine. Worked very nice.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
When I ran into that same problem, I took my 4 inch grinder and ground a little off each side of the pitman arm just enough so that the puller would fit on it.

This is what we did back in the day and it works good. We did break down and buy a $nap On pitman arm puller later that fits.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
2 jaw puller cranked down as much as I could. Heat on the pitman arm. BFH and a drift from above onto the pitman arm.

I haven't gotten one off yet without a puller.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I heated mine up with blow torch a little. Took my three jaw and pulled right off. works fine.

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
I use a large 3 jaw gear puller and wire the jaws together. Works great and I can use it for other stuff too unlike a dedicated pitman arm puller.

;D That's what phred used with me to get mine off ;D

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I have broken a bunch of the pitman arm pullers on Bronco steering boxes. A little heat and a big pickle fork works very well.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
Which pitman arm pullers are you using? Most of the units i have found are not large enough to fit around the arm.

A good air chisel a punch bit work every time or chisel bit wedge it between housing and pitman arm and bingo off it comes.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
never used heat, too worried about the seals inside the box. i've used a BFH and smacked it on top and it comes off.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
never used heat, too worried about the seals inside the box. i've used a BFH and smacked it on top and it comes off.
You don't need much heat. Your trying to only heat the arm.
I put the puller on tight and give it a couple of wacks with the bfh. If it doesn't come loose then go around the arm with a propane torch for around 30-60 seconds. Then give it another shot with the bfh. That pops most of them loose.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I heated mine from the bottom with a propane torch. Once it got hot enough I would spray PB Blaster around the seam to let it get drawn in with the heat off. Came off pretty easy.

OP
OP
BroncoPoor

BroncoPoor

Well the three jaw didn't quite do it on its own.... I had to put a little heat on it. After that she poped right off.