• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pitman Arm Puller not Pulling

Alpacket

Stock arm and steering box. I've got a pitman arm puller on and I'm using a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 3 foot cheater to turn it. Of course, I've also got the whole thing coated in PB Blaster. Not budging. Any ideas? Am I missing something? And yes, the nut is off.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Hit the end of the pittman arm with a sledge, right between the jaws of the puller. Do that while you have a bunch of tension on it. It will pop, when it lets go.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
take a b.f.h. and whack the arm about 10 times really hard on both sides of it in exactly the same spots where your puller is now resting. take the puller off and after you whack it put puller back on and it'll come off.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
take a b.f.h. and whack the arm about 10 times really hard on both sides of it in exactly the same spots where your puller is now resting. take the puller off and after you whack it put puller back on and it'll come off.
and support it on a big hunk steel directly opposite where you beat on it...:cool:

OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

Awesome. Thanks, guys. Good advice. I would add that a couple of beers doesn't hurt either. I'll be sending the steering box off to West Texas Off Road in the morning.

Last edited:

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did both. A little heat and the first or second tap with a hammer came right off. And West Texas Offroad does a great job also!

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
West Texas Offroad does a first class job rebuilding steering boxes at a reasonable price.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I have been putting my PS box being rebuilt for way too long now. How are you shipping it to them? I think it was Viper that told me he used a usps flat rate box, largest one they have. Are you getting the standard rebuild or are you having it ported?

Thx for any details on your rebuild, Matt.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Yep, the large flat rate box will get it there. They fit perfectly, just add packing material and throw some insurance on it. I don't trust the USPS one bit.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've found the best way to get the pitman off is to put the puller on and torque it down good. Then, using a long drift, or in my case a couple of socket extension, come down from the top, through the engine bay, and you can get a direct downward blow with a sledge right on top of the pitman. About 4 whacks, no heat, and I was able to pop it right off.

OP
OP
Alpacket

Alpacket

I have been putting my PS box being rebuilt for way too long now. How are you shipping it to them? I think it was Viper that told me he used a usps flat rate box, largest one they have. Are you getting the standard rebuild or are you having it ported?

Standard rebuild. I just talked to West Texas, and they said get as much fluid out as you can, wrap it in an old towel or t-shirt, put all that in a garbage bag and then in a box. I think the flat rate box with insurance is a good idea. West Texas said the USPS loses about 1 in 4/5.

Of course, now I'm in the middle of a snow storm and can't get out to ship the steering box because my Bronco doesn't have a steering box. Admittedly, it doesn't have seats or floor pans either.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Next time you are shopping for tools look for one of these, a Snap-On puller, this along with a 1/2" impact will pull the arm off with no damage to the box

Attachments

• snap-on_puller.jpg
    snap-on_puller.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 11

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Awesome. Thanks, guys. Good advice. I would add that a couple of beers doesn't hurt either. I'll be sending the steering box off to West Texas Off Road in the morning.

getting ready to send mine to them as well. the snow/blizzard missed me and hammered the west part of the state. i don't have a puller so just used a bfh and it finally came off