• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plugging Dipstick Hole In Oil Pan

Redneck

Loc.
Jefferson City, MO
Need some advice and/or suggestions on plugging the dipstick hole on my oil pan. I am going to switch over to the dipstick through the timing cover. Currently my new rebuilt engine is out of the Bronco and awaiting installation of the oil pan. I was thinking of filling the hole full of JB Weld but thought someone may have already done this and have another or better suggestion.

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
can you get a correct reading off of the timing cover? I would think you would just be reading the front sump and not the rear sump that the pan mounted dip stick reads

OP
OP
Redneck

Redneck

Loc.
Jefferson City, MO
Many applications in cars and pick-ups with the 302 have the dipstick through the timing cover and as long as you use the correct dipstick you will get accurate readings regardless of where in the oil pan the dipstick is.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I think it was 1/4" plug I got mine from an engine shop, only place I could find it. Put red loctite on then hammered it in the hole using a small socket and extention.

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
I had ground/drilled off the rivet heads and made a piece of steel to cover the same area, made a gasket with some goop and reriveted it back into place. As for the level of oil, you can reuse the same distick. You first have to mount the tube in the cover. Then install origional dipstick and cut off appropriate length, it will hit the pan because it is longer. Then change your oil and filter(pre fill filter), run the engine and check for leaks. Then install the 'new' dipstick and mark the dipstick where the oil level is, then i take it over to the bench mounted grinder and give it a 'snick(technical term) across the mark. Ive done this on my motors and several swapped motors into other cars.
If this seems scary look for or order a dipstick kit(tube and stick) from Ford or auto parts store for a 1979-1984 Mustang 5.0L. Instal new kit, change oil and verify oil level. They roughly have the same oil pan.

Last edited:

4jrfox

Loc.
Houston
Dipstick

What I did was leave it on the pan 2" up from pan, I cut pinched and welded a cap. No futhre leaks, I still like it!

Scrapper_MV

My 351W has a timing cover dipstick, and it never reads the same twice. When I change the oil it takes 8 qts before it even registers on the dip stick. After running it a few minutes it might show too much or no oil at all. Never the same twice.

I'm going back to the dipstick in the side of the pan set up!

OP
OP
Redneck

Redneck

Loc.
Jefferson City, MO
I am going to use the route that Dirtyboy talks about, in fact I had started to do what he describes before I got the response. Thanks for your suggestions.

OP
OP
Redneck

Redneck

Loc.
Jefferson City, MO
Ok here is what I ended up doing. I ground the rivets off removing the dipstick tubing completely. I then made two (2) plates out of 1/16" steel the same size as the dipstick plate. I drilled everything for 1/4" bolts. Then assembled one plate one each side of the oil pan, made paper gaskets for both sides, applied generous amounts of high temperature RTV red sealer, run the bolts in from the inside with flat washers and ny-lock nuts and tightened. For insurance I was going to have the heads of the bolts and the inside plate spot welded but my local machinist friend said he didn't think it would ever come apart.