• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plugging stock spare holes in body.

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
The PO of my 77 put a nice paint job on it but removed the spare tire carrier and left the holes in the body and tailgate. It is a custom color and welding in the holes and trying to match the color would be tough. Anyone have a good idea how to plug the stock spare tire hinge holes to prevent water from collecting and ruining my rust free Bronco?

72moore

re

You could silicon the holes, if you can reach up in there
and put a piece of tape on the inside of the holes.
I would think about getting another tire carrier though.
Could always paint it another color ( the tire carrier)

73project

Loc.
Salt Lake City
I would head over to your local hardware store or nut and bolt supply house. I have seen rubber and plastic grommets, plugs that would seal the holes and not look bad. The plastic plugs that I have seen are similar to the caps that cover up the screws on faucet fixtures and just snap into place. Hope that this helps.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Go to the auto parts store of your choice and in the help section there are plastic 1/2 hole plugs. They are black and do not look all that bad when installed.

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
For the holes in the corner where the swing away part mounts I would just get some shiney stainless bolts and washers, as for the tailgate I'd say some of those snap in plugs mentioned earlier wouldnt look to bad.