• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

polished aluminum pulleys - where to buy and size?

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
I am looking for some nice looking pulleys for this 351w I am putting together. The ones at Bronco Graveyard look good but are expensive and are also smaller in diameter size. Toms Bronco Parts also has some but they are not as shiny. Ok, go on, yea, I am looking at glitter too!

Does the smaller pulley diameter affect cooling that much?

The stock size for the crankshaft pulley is 6 3/8". bronco graveyard's is 5 1/2".

The stock size for the waterpump pulley is 6 1/8 ". bronco graveyard is 5 " exactly.

Also, how does this affect my belt lengths?

Other places to buy?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i have the ones from tom's on mine, they work just fine. no cooling issues here. i think the crank pulley is 6" in diameter.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
saxman said:
I am looking for some nice looking pulleys for this 351w I am putting together. The ones at Bronco Graveyard look good but are expensive and are also smaller in diameter size. Toms Bronco Parts also has some but they are not as shiny. Ok, go on, yea, I am looking at glitter too!

Does the smaller pulley diameter affect cooling that much?

The stock size for the crankshaft pulley is 6 3/8". bronco graveyard's is 5 1/2".

The stock size for the waterpump pulley is 6 1/8 ". bronco graveyard is 5 " exactly.

Also, how does this affect my belt lengths?

Other places to buy?
With the pulleys you have listed here, the 5" and 5.5" set will actually spin the water pump faster.

OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
right, I was wondering if that is ok for it to spin faster? how do you go about measuring belt lenths then? string/rope??

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Sax - just bought what you are describing from summit racing. I went with the March, billet, pulley set for approximately $450 (do a search for billet serpentine pulleys and then click on Ford). That includes all the pulleys and nice billet bracketry for alternator and steering pump.

The smaller pulleys will not negatively affect your performance. Having a smaller water pump pulley than the crank will keep your truck cooler.

As far as the belts go....you will need a smaller belt. Take a piece of twine or fishing line, wrap it around your pulleys, measure the lenght and take the dimensions down to your local parts house.

Good luck and let us know which way you go.