• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

possible move to Mass... Need some info before agreeing to moving

BroncoBrandon

So the wife wants to move the family (her,baby and I) to MA from AZ. We have agreed that the Bronco go's as well. (I won that argument);D

Here is where I need some help/Info.

In AZ I can go wheeling almost anywhere in the state due to all of the public land, but from what I have been reading there is nearly no public land to wheel on, The gun laws are super strict and inbetween taxes and tolls I may not be able to afford to put gas in the Bronco.

Can any of you help to enilghten me?

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
As a former Masshole myself- you are exactly right- NH, VT & ME aren't too far off though ;D

There are several guys from Mass on here who can help you out, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in!!

Good luck with the move!!

Todd

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Well, I can comment. I lived in Providence for 12 years. Between the aforementioned lack of wheeling places and the road salt, and the hurricanes (they never mention that one) basically you will want to keep the Bronco in the garage until you can get the h*** out of there. I escaped with minimal damage by just not using the Chariot at all, except the very occasional scenic drive in good weather. Below is about as exciting as it gets. In other words, don't move there.

Attachments

• 1986_NewEngland.jpg
    1986_NewEngland.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

This is all bad news and I too forgot about the hurricanes....... and the pros/cons list is not looking good either.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
On the positive side you've got the B.O.N.E.S. / BYOB guys up there - pretty active group and great guys. A bunch of them come down to VA for the MEB East Coast Round Up each year to wheel at Gore. So lots of active Bronco people in New England. It won't be so bad!

Plus Rausch Creek in PA is not too far and has some really good wheeling too.

Ranchtruck

Cars older than 15 years don't exist on our roads. Sure, there's a survivor here and there but for the most part they all disappeared in a poof of rust. Junkyards are full of mid 90's and newer cars, most taken off the road because the frames/body's are Swiss cheese.

Since you're coming from AZ, I'm assuming you're not familiar with moisture. What doesn't rust molds or rots. I've had cylinder bores rust on engine blocks on stands in my shop, just from the humidity in the air and condensation. You leave any uncoated car part outside, it will be rusty/corroded within a week.

Don't even dream of taking the bronco out in winter. People have "winter beaters" for a reason, driving through the salt slush is a death sentence for every nut, bolt, bracket, frame and body panel, exhaust, ect on a car, no matter how well you wash it, undercoat it, or treat it.

You can drive it in the summer after a couple rainstorms have washed the salt off the roads, but I wouldn't take it wheeling either if it's in nice shape. The combination of mud, rocks, and most of all trees leads to inevitable body damage. Trails are narrow and overgrown.

New England can be great in the late summer and fall. Some parts of spring are nice. Winter may not be sub-zero, but the cold hurts more because of the moisture in the air and the lack of sun. Plus you get ice storms, where the rain freezes on the trees, the trees break, and the power lines come down.

Massachusetts drivers are a different breed for sure. Number one rule is to never make eye contact with another driver. Eye contact lets them know you know they exist, so they will cut you off. Your speed limits on highways are 75, and you drive 80. Our speed limits are 55 or 65, and we drive 80.

NH is better than Mass in a lot of ways. No income tax. No sales tax. No seatbelts or helmets required over 18. No insurance required. No title on vehicles older than 15 years. Nicer people, and less people in general.

Why does your wife want to move to Mass? People from here retire to AZ for a reason, the living's easy and the weather is nice.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
replied to your thread and sent you a PM on Pirate.

edit: should put it here too. Jonfund is the club to be in. LOTS of access to private land, monthly runs and 80 acres of club owned land in NCentral MA.

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
"Why does your wife want to move to Mass? People from here retire to AZ for a reason"

I know more people from Boston than San Diego and I live in San Diego.

pipermike

As a lifetime Western Ma resident I have to say RanchTrucks post hit the nail on the head... Had me laughing out loud thinking about my daily drive on I-91!

OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

Thank you all for your input.

My wife wants to move to MA.... Well.... Um...Hmmmm.

I dont really think that she has a good reason besides she loves Boston, It's green and MA has "Season's". I am open to the idea of moving to a new state and I dont think that it would be a permanent move either.

The part that I dont get is that she doesnt like cold weather. She says that she is freezing when we go snowboarding and there are guys and girls in t-shirts. Also I dont think that she has looked into the fact that the cost of living is 40% someting percent more and that our expected income increase is about 11%-12%, the additional taxes, The horrible roads that eat and destroy cars, Oh and did I mention that she doesnt like the cold!....%)

av8rds: Thank you for the PM. it is nice to know that there are a few EB's in that neck of the woods and a decent club up there to wheel with.

Ranchtruck: You have scared the S**T out of me....LOL