• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering and power brake conversion questions

broncofiresmith

I recently had installed a TBP Power Steering and a TBP Front disk power brake kit. On the power steering when I start the truck I do not have power steering for the first 30-45 seconds or so. Is this normal? After that things seem fine. On the power brakes the pedal seems fine but when I hit the brakes the stopping power doesn't seem to be there and the truck seems to dive to the left. Both were installed by a Ford mechanic. When I picked it up he sad he wasn't happy with the brakes but he drove it around the block a few times and they seem to be getting better. I drove it about 10 miles since I picked it up and its pretty scary when hitting the brakes. Thank you for any help. I hope to be able to get things fixed and enjoy the new upgrades.

kaw700zn

Loc.
Chandler
I am the last one to offer technical advice. :-[

But I can tell you from the experience with the similar setup that neither is right. The power steering on my Bronco engages right away. You probably have some air in the system.

Obviously the brakes should not be doing that. When this happened to me (with similar setup), turned out that the rear drums were not setup properly. BTW, even when everything is working fine you will not get the stopping power of modern car (again from my experience) when using the booster.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
TBP Chevy front disc kit #2430?

If so, make sure the knuckles were ground for adequate caliper clearance, because the brakes should flat stop the truck, no if's, and's or but's.

Steering should be active pretty much as soon as your pump is making pressure, so withing seconds of starting the engine. I'd be looking for air in the system and possibly a new mechanic.

OP
OP
broncofiresmith

broncofiresmith

TBP Chevy front disc kit #2430?

If so, make sure the knuckles were ground for adequate caliper clearance, because the brakes should flat stop the truck, no if's, and's or but's.

Steering should be active pretty much as soon as your pump is making pressure, so withing seconds of starting the engine. I'd be looking for air in the system and possibly a new mechanic.

Brake part #7503

And I agree with you on the new mechanic.

OP
OP
broncofiresmith

broncofiresmith

I'm not sure if this is the right angle of picture but is this the knuckle that needs ground down? It doesn't look like there is any clearance now between.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 41

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That's your brake problem. You need to make some clearance there with a grinder.

bteutsch

Make sure you ground enough clearance for future brake pad wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk