• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering pump high pressure fitting

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
I went to put in a fitting (pictured in brass 5/8-18) to reduce to a 6an and just the nut turned on my power steering pump. Am I using the wrong type fitting? I have the brass one (picture-similar in type but steel version)

Should I use a reducer female (5/8-18 to male 6AN).

Does this male fitting come out of the back of the power steering pump?

Attachments

• reducer.jpg
    reducer.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Fitting.jpg
    Fitting.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 40
  • High pressure 2.jpg
    High pressure 2.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 57
  • power pump.jpg
    power pump.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 65
  • high pressure 1.jpg
    high pressure 1.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 57

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
First picture looks like it would simply screw right on to the male threads of a stock pump.

The second photo is used to convert a saginaw/delphi pump to the same male threads as a stock pump which allows you to use a stock EB power steering hose with a saginaw/delphi pump.

If you're trying to convert a stock pump to -6, you need a female threaded side to thread on to the stock stud with the -6 fitting on the other end - which is what your first picture looks like.

OP
OP
Flying Pigs

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
Thank you...I dont have the reducer but can order it and wait for it to come.

My thinking is that the install kit for a hydroboost system doesnt have a reducer in it and doesnt need it. I probably have what I need to complete the install.
Im going to the store to get another nut 5/8-18 and double nut it unless someone says dont. All the fittings are in the picture and its a stock Ford pump. Unless someone modified it down the road on a rebuild that makws it different.

Attachments

• hydro boost install.jpg
    hydro boost install.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 20
  • stock pump.jpg
    stock pump.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 20
  • High pressure 2.jpg
    High pressure 2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 22

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Your pump is a stock EB Thompson pump. The Thompson pump was used on millions of Ford cars over the years including classic Mustangs and full size pickups.

Wherever you're ordering that hydroboost kit from, should provide a parts list and what the fittings are for. Are you supposed to just guess what fitting goes where? If you have a parts and application list/instructions from the seller or manufacturer, that should answer most of your questions.

OP
OP
Flying Pigs

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
Your pump is a stock EB Thompson pump. The Thompson pump was used on millions of Ford cars over the years including classic Mustangs and full size pickups.

Wherever you're ordering that hydroboost kit from, should provide a parts list and what the fittings are for. Are you supposed to just guess what fitting goes where? If you have a parts and application list/instructions from the seller or manufacturer, that should answer most of your questions.

My Bronco was driving very poorly and swore to fix the steering and brakes. They were both power setups. I replaced a stock power 6 turn, lock to lock gearbox with a Borgeson 3.75 turn box. Wow, what a difference and the steering was the root of all my problems. I bought their hose set up and it has the 2 fittings for the gearbox that they charge 25.00 alone for.

I bought the hydroboost before I installed and tested the steering and its the rave for the additional weight of 35 inch tires so I got it. I didnt purchase their install kit because I thought the price point was high, I just showed a picture for reference as there is no reducers in the kit. It turns out after getting all the fittings and hoses that it really isnt that far out of line and would be a big time saver just to put it in the cart.

I bought the line drops from the master to the proportioning valve. These are high quality braided lines that are flexible for routing.

I can tell what all the fittings are and know what sizes I need. The Borgeson fittings that are coming out of the gearbox are -6. I CANT GET THAT Fitting OUT OF THE BACK OF THE POWER STEERING PUMP which is 5/8-18 Inverted flare. I ordered what I thought was the correct fitting on Tuesday and it came today. Only the nut turns and the fitting is well giving me fits. I double nutted it and made a sleeve out of brass that I could clamp on to and its not budging. Its different than the ones that come in the kit and a person never knows how it is put together or how someone may fix something....

I was able to hook up my high pressure Borgeson hose tonight (barely, what a stroke of luck) and Im gonna test my old trusty power steering pump to see if she can handle both the gearbox and hydroboost. The reducer is on the list if she can handle it. Other wise im gonna have to upgrade the pump and brackets.

Picture of temporary setup for testing the power steering pump and hydroboost.

Attachments

• hydroboost.jpg
    hydroboost.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 32

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The threaded fitting on the back of the Thompson pump is an integral part of the pump and does not come out.

If you want to run all -6 fittings, your ONLY option is to find the correct -6 adapter that has female threads to thread onto the stock pump on one end and the -6 threads on the other.

Looking at your picture above, the hose coming from the pump retains the stock fitting. It's likely a custom hose build by a hydraulic shop, which would be another option if you have a shop locally.

OP
OP
Flying Pigs

Flying Pigs

Loc.
Elgin, IL
I gave it a one arm try with a normal size ratchet and it wasn't budging at all. I figured someone would know the internal workings and I wasn't about to hammer down on it and break it....Thank you very much.

I got everything bled and drove it today....WOW, my rig is like driving a brand new truck. The power steering pump keeps up and the steering is a little choppy at idle when the truck isnt moving at all. If Im backing with a little bit of acceleration and movement she is fine.

The brakes are unbelievable and Im impressed.

I will order the reducer and it will be here by next weekend and can clean it up...Thanks again for your help.