• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Upgrade

76bronc5.0

All,

My factory 76 power steering box has quite a bit of slop and either needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I’m weighing both options but with 35’s and the possibility of going larger down the road I don’t want to limit myself. My pump is on its last leg as well so I will be upgrading and plan to add ram assist as well since my rig spends a great deal of time on the rocks. Ideally, I would like to have my factory box sent off to PSC for a rebuild and also have them tap/plumb the fittings for the ram assist since this would be the easiest option. However, I wanted to get some opinions as to whether or not a rebuild would provide the reliability/longevity I’m looking for or should I just upgrade to a 4x4x2 box? Thanks in advance.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I would up grade to the 4x4x2 going with the 35+ tires. Also a Saginaw dual return pump to power it. I would also swap to hydro boost brakes to stop it. While you're at it plumb is a ps fluid cooler. Depending on your location west Texas off road is another good choice for a box rebuild.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And while you're at it, plumb in ram assist. And get the pump to give you the flow you need for all of it.