• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pre runner style rear tire carrier

1970mule

Bronco Guru
Hey just wanted to know if anyone had a tire carrier that centerd in the middle of the truck and had a cage around the tire to secure it. and that folded down or swung out. if you guys saw the scout on extreme 4x4 it is something like that? pics would be great.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I've seen that carrier on that Scout, and it looks pretty cool. But I've also seen the build, and I'm not a fan of the fold down style. I could imagine trying to fold it back up and blowing my back out lifting a tire that big as well as the extra weight of the carrier. Just my 2 cents, from somone with a bad back. Swing away instead of down would be cool. By the way, did you hear them say they've got $18,000 in that scout build this morning? Sure seems like way to much to me!

rjp1965

Hey just wanted to know if anyone had a tire carrier that centerd in the middle of the truck and had a cage around the tire to secure it. and that folded down or swung out. if you guys saw the scout on extreme 4x4 it is something like that? pics would be great.

I didn't see the Scout, but it sounds like you are describing a tire gate. Different people build them.

I don't know if anyone is selling them for EB's or if you would need to fabricate it.

http://tiregate.com/

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
I've seen that carrier on that Scout, and it looks pretty cool. But I've also seen the build, and I'm not a fan of the fold down style. I could imagine trying to fold it back up and blowing my back out lifting a tire that big as well as the extra weight of the carrier. Just my 2 cents, from somone with a bad back. Swing away instead of down would be cool. By the way, did you hear them say they've got $18,000 in that scout build this morning? Sure seems like way to much to me!

yeah i heard thaT, but as we seen on that show they dont care about getting burned on prices

rjp1965

yeah thats it looks like i need to make my own

Look around a bit. I'm not sure what your needs and actual use of it will be, but I personally don't think the design they used on the Scout is very good. Of course, I have only seen one photo of it.

There are some interesting designs used in the off road racing world. You can learn a lot looking at the "real" pre-runners and race trucks (i.e. Trophy Trucks, Class 8, Stock Full, etc.). They aren't designed for appearances.

Good luck with it. I'm sure people on the board would like to see photos of what you eventually decide to build.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru

I like that carrier as well. I think he welded the upper mounts to the body. If you run BC quarter panel guards you could do the same, but I do not think I would do it to a Bronco body.
I have been collecting pictures, I have a plate style bumper but am thinking about building a pre-runner bumper with a tire carrier on it.
Dennis

rjp1965

This is an example of what I was referring to.

You could simply turn this type of setup sideways and fab it as a bumper swing away. You would get your tubes surrounding the tire, not have to lose any inside tub space, not have to deal with quarter panel attachments, etc. and one person can still be able to get the tire out easily and quickly when needed.

FYI this is the spare holder on a SCORE Class 8 truck.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 51

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I like that style, its hard to justify the additional 2 feet longer your truck would become with the spare length wise?
Dennis

rjp1965

I like that style, its hard to justify the additional 2 feet longer your truck would become with the spare length wise?
Dennis

You wouldn't set it up length wise. You would turn it sideways and set it up as a bumper swing.

The original poster liked the cradle design with tube wrapped around the tire like they used on the Extreme 4x4 Scout.

This design would give him the cradle and the wrap around tubes vs. the common lug nut / bolt on set up.

I think it is superior to the Extreme design because it keeps the tire low, accessible, easy to handle by yourself, fast/easy to remove and replace and wouldn't get into the support/strength quarter panel problems that the tire gates have. It also wouldn't cost you your rear tub space like the tire gate would.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
yeah i have been looking at those score trucks and what not and that is the way to go. when i am done i will deff post pics.

74 Bronco Boy

The way he built the tire carrier on that scout was okay, I don't like how he welded mounts to the body.:p I just like swing out carriers better. But thats just me.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
The way he built the tire carrier on that scout was okay, I don't like how he welded mounts to the body.:p I just like swing out carriers better. But thats just me.

true seems it my cause problems. i also like the swingout i am getting closer to what i want.

Muddypony

Balliebuilt has a spare tire gate that looks pretty cool. Similar concept. Eats up some interior room though.