• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Professionally rebuilt carb - running like crap (very long post)

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Several years ago, I bought a '73 that hadn't been driven in a few years. After getting it running, it ran and idled well, and I drove it around the block a few times without issue. The only issue I had at that time was the choke not working, but once it got up to temperature, it would idle smoothly all day long.

Because of other projects, that '73 ended up sitting unstarted for about three years. My Spring resolution this year was to get it running and drivable. After putting a rear axle under it (thanks Doug) I tried starting it up only to find that the original carb leaked like crazy. I also knew the gas was old from only being driven about 10 miles in the past six or seven years. So, I had the carb rebuilt by gottafish carbs and have been trying to get it running correctly over the last month.

I can get it to start fine, but the idle has a noticeable surge to it. Unless I have the idle screw set almost all the way in, it will stall out on the lower part of the surge, which means on the upper part of the surge, the idle speed is crazy high. With a vacuum gauge hooked up, the vacuum will gradually fluctuate between 14 and 20 inches with the idle surge. When I rev it to about 2,000 RPM, the surging seems to go away, but when I rev it to 3,000 rpm, the engine starts to stumble and the vacuum drops way down below 10 inches.

For the heck of it, I took it for a drive around the block this evening. Throttle response on the rebuilt carb is great. Gradually accelerating and driving around the neighborhood was OK, but any time I got on the throttle in first or second, it bucked and sputtered like crazy. Second gear was the worst, and third gear was the smoothest. Cruising in third at 40 - 50 mph was great, smooth, and still had good throttle response. The other gears were choppy under acceleration.

As the title says - freshly rebuilt carb, Bronco runs like crap. I don't dare take it on the freeway. I'm not sure what could have happened in the three years it sat to make it go from a fairly decently running Bronco, to what I've got going on now. ?:?

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Several years ago, I bought a '73 that hadn't been driven in a few years. After getting it running, it ran and idled well, and I drove it around the block a few times without issue. The only issue I had at that time was the choke not working, but once it got up to temperature, it would idle smoothly all day long.

Because of other projects, that '73 ended up sitting unstarted for about three years. My Spring resolution this year was to get it running and drivable. After putting a rear axle under it (thanks Doug) I tried starting it up only to find that the original carb leaked like crazy. I also knew the gas was old from only being driven about 10 miles in the past six or seven years. So, I had the carb rebuilt by gottafish carbs and have been trying to get it running correctly over the last month.

I can get it to start fine, but the idle has a noticeable surge to it. Unless I have the idle screw set almost all the way in, it will stall out on the lower part of the surge, which means on the upper part of the surge, the idle speed is crazy high. With a vacuum gauge hooked up, the vacuum will gradually fluctuate between 14 and 20 inches with the idle surge. When I rev it to about 2,000 RPM, the surging seems to go away, but when I rev it to 3,000 rpm, the engine starts to stumble and the vacuum drops way down below 10 inches.

For the heck of it, I took it for a drive around the block this evening. Throttle response on the rebuilt carb is great. Gradually accelerating and driving around the neighborhood was OK, but any time I got on the throttle in first or second, it bucked and sputtered like crazy. Second gear was the worst, and third gear was the smoothest. Cruising in third at 40 - 50 mph was great, smooth, and still had good throttle response. The other gears were choppy under acceleration.

As the title says - freshly rebuilt carb, Bronco runs like crap. I don't dare take it on the freeway. I'm not sure what could have happened in the three years it sat to make it go from a fairly decently running Bronco, to what I've got going on now. ?:?
I've found the Edelbrock carb air bleeds get crudded up pretty easy. When it's running, spray some Chem Tool on the bleeds. Let it get sucked through really good. You may need to throttle the carb to keep it from dying while you do this. After, readjust the idle mixture screws.
Wow! I got to help thegreatjustino!;)

Attachments

• edelbrockairbleed.jpg
    edelbrockairbleed.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 23

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd also suspect the timing a little but I would also suspect some sticky valves. after the engine has sat for so long. You carb should be fine since it was just rebuilt. Your vacuum readings point mostly to sticky valves

OP
OP
thegreatjustino

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Thank you for the suggestion, but if the carb is freshly rebuilt, why would it need to be cleaned?

I should probably point out that it's a stock motorcraft 2bbl carb.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id try running some marvel mystery oil both in your engine oil and some down the intake while its running.

BlackMamba

Loc.
Huffman TX
Did you run the old fuel through it like I did? My fresh carb got plugged up by some trash....pulled the squirter out and cleared the passage. Runs like a top now. Mine sat for 2 years previously....

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Today's gas sucks and with that gas just sitting in your carb, even freshly rebult, it could gum it up. I would bet a fresh rebuild will take care of your problem.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
I agree with the top 2 posts. If you didn't drain the gas tank of all the old fuel and replace with fresh, then change fuel filter your carb probably needs cleaned again.

The fuel can go bad in as little as one year. And just topping the old turpentine off with fresh fuel doesn't fix the problem.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Just because it was rebuilt by a "professional" doesn't mean it was done correctly. Talk to the guy that rebuilt it and explain what you're seeing. If he's a stand-up guy, he'll be willing to take another look at the carb.

hc37180

Loc.
Seattle, WA
I would go with this option first, easiest to deal with initially. All that crap & sediment that would deposit after sitting that long would be my first suspect. First thing I do when rezzing a car that has sat for multiple years is fresh gas & filters. Could just be your fuel flow rate is under specs. At least from that point on you know those aren't the issues if your problem persists. Then I would go through ignition components. Good Luck

I agree with the top 2 posts. If you didn't drain the gas tank of all the old fuel and replace with fresh, then change fuel filter your carb probably needs cleaned again.

The fuel can go bad in as little as one year. And just topping the old turpentine off with fresh fuel doesn't fix the problem.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
I'll echo the bad gas comments. Otherwise, it sounds like you might want to back off the idle speed screw and make sure the butterflies are closed all the way, then you should be able to back out the idle mixture screw a bit and get things dialed properly. If the butterflies are opened too much at idle, fuel will drip out the primary jets and cause surging.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I think your air bleeds in the idle circuit, at least, is whats giving ya fits.
The carb may not need a "rebuild", but it wouldnt hurt pop the top and blow out the teeny tiny orifices with carb clean and/or compressed air

PaveBronco

I'll echo the bad gas comments. Otherwise, it sounds like you might want to back off the idle speed screw and make sure the butterflies are closed all the way, then you should be able to back out the idle mixture screw a bit and get things dialed properly. If the butterflies are opened too much at idle, fuel will drip out the primary jets and cause surging.

Yep, you're way out of the idle circuit, it’s easy to get the small passages clogged with that old gas and junk you just ran through it. Like the others posted R2 the gas and filters and clean out the carb, may have to pull it apart.