• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project Sixtysick becomes... 7 Deuce... meet my new love

sixtysick

Loc.
Columbia, MO
All,

Here it is. Got it today and it is pretty sweet. Sixtysick will be parted out mostly, but everything new will go on this. I might just taking the drive train from the 72 and swap it with the 66... then sell the whole running rolling chassis.

First thing is first... how in the hell do I remedy the bump steer/wandering. Currently there is a 3.5 inch James Duff lift with no drop pitman... and power steering.

Also, should I ditch the james duff for the brand new cage lift I have on the 66 Bronco?

Jeff

Attachments

• DSCF0184.JPG
    DSCF0184.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF0185.JPG
    DSCF0185.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 93

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
You shouldn't need a drop pitman arm for that small of a lift . I would look at the track bar and tie rod ends . Also check to make sure the steering box is not loose on the frame (that has bit me in the past ) If you can't find the cause of the problem ... you could just unload that old bronco on me and I'll dispose of it for you ... no charge for a fellow broncoholic ;D ;D ;D

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Get BC Broncos Heim joint steering system and you'll never look back. If everything is RIGHT....it will handle like a porsche compared to what it is right now.

I would DEFINITELY ditch the duff lift for the new Cage....personally.

Awesome ride man....got to love the 1/2 Cabs. They look great!

Kind of got my eye out for one myself.

I also brought home a NEW toy today. Still on the trailer. I will get er off tomorrow take some pics and post my new ride.

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
What a beauty! I havn't had any experience with the JD lift, but the cage 3.5" has some pretty amazing flex. The photo of the yellow rig on cage's site just has their 3.5" w/ 2" body, pretty amazing IMO. We will run the cage system on our halfcab.

OP
OP
S

sixtysick

Loc.
Columbia, MO
bowhunter said:
Get BC Broncos Heim joint steering system and you'll never look back. If everything is RIGHT....it will handle like a porsche compared to what it is right now.

I would DEFINITELY ditch the duff lift for the new Cage....personally.

Awesome ride man....got to love the 1/2 Cabs. They look great!

Kind of got my eye out for one myself.

I also brought home a NEW toy today. Still on the trailer. I will get er off tomorrow take some pics and post my new ride.

Is that the 279 dollar kit they have listed? What all is involved with that? Do you have a write up? I need to do something. Do the Radius arms not being dropped having anything to do with it? I thought there was a lot of things that could cause bump steer/wandering.

Jeff

OP
OP
S

sixtysick

Loc.
Columbia, MO
bronco stranded me on the side of the road for a bit today. Hit a bump and all of a sudden everything shut down.

Luckily a guy with a multimeter stopped by and we started into it. The main power wire going into the cab is shorted out somewhere... even though no fuses broke. We ended up getting it going, so he left... and I went on my way... but only about 100 yards and it shut off again. By that time I was near a gas station... borrowed some scissors and cut my starter wire and pulled my ignition wire and hooked it to the battery. Put the starter wire to the batter and voila it was running. I drove it home and it sits with some work needed.

Any place I should look under the dash first?

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
nice looking new rig, i would go with the cage lift also! Good luck and happy wheeling!

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
It looks like your trac bar and drag link are a little out of alignment. It doesn't take much and your rig will scare the hell out of you going down the road. Every little bump and you'll be fightin' to keep it in your lane.

OP
OP
S

sixtysick

Loc.
Columbia, MO
rflud said:
It looks like your trac bar and drag link are a little out of alignment. It doesn't take much and your rig will scare the hell out of you going down the road. Every little bump and you'll be fightin' to keep it in your lane.

Well I put the drop pit man arm that I had from Cage on today... and the bumpsteer and wandering were greatly improved. I do have a lot of play in the steering shaft before the power steering box still. I assume the only way to remedy this is to have the box rebuilt... or buy a new one? I can turn the wheel almost a quarter turn before the steering box will move the pitman. I have heard about the guy in texas that rebuilds them for a pretty penny, is that my only option?

I still have the Xterra steering box on my 66 frame... but I would have to deal with the whole pressure and return hose thing if I put that in.

Suggestions would be great.

Oh yea, I found the short in my bronco. Of course it was right next to the battery, but I had to run through the entire dash harness before I could find it... you lose some and you lose some.

J

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Was the short in your fusible link? Mine was right next to the battery and because I did an ocean creek crossing salt water had crept under the insulation and turned the fusible link wire into a green mess....

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
are you going to part out the 66. if so how is your pass door and lift. might be intrested. congrats on the new one looks nice.

OP
OP
S

sixtysick

Loc.
Columbia, MO
answering both your questions... it wasn't the fusible link, just the power wire going to the alternator. And the sixty six didn't come with doors, all the parts are currently on ebay right now.

Now on the more something more.

I f*cked the bronco up this weekend. Didn't even have it seven days and now I am stuck using front wheel drive only. I found a nice spot where contruction is currently underway and proceeded in playing. I got hung up on a boulder and couldn't get off(had to have a chevy pull me off), but in the mean time I bent my drag link and either broke an axle... or trashed my rear end... won't know until I pull it apart.

First, I thought ford 9 inches were indestructable? Secondly, how hard is it to replace an axle? and where do I find one?

Jeff