• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

protecting drain plug on 9in rear

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
The PO put a drain plug on the 9 inch rear, the screw in plug hangs down about 1/4 inch, what is the quickest way to protect this from being whacked off on the trail.. does someone make a small cage or shield that is a easy bolt on to protect it..

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Throw a picture so we can get a better idea of the location. The cheapest and easiest is to take some thick metal and then drill hole through the middle so that the plug and a socket or whatever you use to remove the plug will fit, Then weld the thick metal in place. Kinda like a mini skidplate for the drain plug. I have also seen others use thick walled pipe for the same idea.

Ben

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Toyota puts a drain on the bottom of their differentials. They have a heavy wall piece of pipe about 1/4 long welded around the plug. You could do the same. You could always build up the side with weld to make it more of a ramp.
rear_diff.jpg

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I made a 1/4" skid plate for the bottom of mine, and used a 1/4" pipe plug for my drain. Of coarse it's flush with the bottom of the housing also.

pbwcr

drain plug

The PO put a drain plug on the 9 inch rear, the screw in plug hangs down about 1/4 inch, what is the quickest way to protect this from being whacked off on the trail.. does someone make a small cage or shield that is a easy bolt on to protect it..
====
My had the same issue. Solution get an internal hex pipe plug. screw it in all the way. If it still sticks out then take it out and tap the hold deeper. Repeat until it is flush.
Yup: The toyota cage is better. Strictly a diy deal. Try my method first.
PW

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Was going to suggest the pipe plug as well. I think the fill plugs are pipe thread anyway, so if the drain is the same, you can get an allen head plug that will sit flush and no need to fab any protection.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've seen some nice bolt on skid plates but it would be a lot to remove every time you change oil. (I change a lot) I'd go dor the 1/8" NPT flush plug and a steel ring welded on to protect it.

OP
OP
stock1970

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
i will take a pic of it.. not sure i will have time to fix it before i go on the road.. leaving thursday morning from kansas to indianapolis 4 wheel jamborie, then from there going to hotsprings ark. for off road bronco event.. man.. not enought time and so much to do.

Oatmeal

Toyota puts a drain on the bottom of their differentials. They have a heavy wall piece of pipe about 1/4 long welded around the plug. You could do the same. You could always build up the side with weld to make it more of a ramp.
rear_diff.jpg
Bad place for a drain plug for any vehicle that spends alot of time in the rocks! You should see the rings that "protect" the drain plugs on my Toyota's front and rear ends......they're about ground to nothing and I have to check (and usually re-tighten:eek: ) the plugs after every run.....and I run low profile allen head plugs! I'm going to weld them shut and replace a couple of the third member studs with bolts and use those as drain plugs;) My buddy fried the e-locker and r/p in his 4Runner because he didn't check them before hitting the highway! ---------Hans