• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulled body off frame, stripping bottom side. Luck with laying body on side?

ejustinw

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
As the title indicated I am in the very near future going to strip, por15 and razor the bottom of my 72 bronco. I've seen one picture of someone prepping and working on the underside of their bronco while it's on its side. I have my front fenders pulled and will be replacing the rear lower quarters. Doors are pulled as is window frame (trying to design a lower window wiper system). Top is also removed. So other than building a rotisserie (which I don't want to do), what are your opinions and thoughts?

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
You want to lay the tub on it's side? I don't know if I recommend that, although I can't specifically say why, just doesn't give me warm fuzzies, even stripped down like yours.

What about using jack stands and angling the tub? Obviously wouldn't be as convenient (or safe for that matter). Some guys have built wooden rotisseries, be pretty cheap (relatively speaking).

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Check out my build page 31 post 459 I laid my tub on its side with no issues. I used an overhead chain fall to help roll it up and support it from falling over. I finished the bottom prep this way as well as epoxy premiered the underneath while on its side and I rolled it from one side to the other a few times with no incident. Just be slow and careful and have an extra set of hands to help steady things.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I layed mine on its side for underbody work. I wasn't building a show truck so wasn't too worried about negative affect of laying on its side. Didn't seem to have any issues or damage though.

5_oh_bronco

Loc.
Grand Junction
I have also laid my tub on its side. Like englewoodcowboy said, you want to be sure to have a way to get it there and back gently. I used an engine hoist and chains to lift and set it down. My only advice would be to support it well in key locations with would. I found that if I put a block immediately in front of the firewall, and one near the rear corner, it seems well supported, stable, and the sheet metal doesn't get bent.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I did mine the hard way,raised the body ( what was left of it ) off the frame with 4x4 pieces of wood,some 2x4s too,did all my cleaning and undercoating this way.It wasn't too bad cuz the whole front of the vehicle was off,no doors,quarters,tailgate,just the bare body,so not as much weight to deal with,and I did the rest as we installed them.Not the easiest way but not too bad as I was very limited with space,doing everything in one stall of my 2 car garage. Momma wouldn't give up her side LOL. :cool:

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Up here in the hills of North GA, the local guys recommend rolling it on to an old mattress!!! I used some bales of pine straw!!! Used a shop crane, tie down straps another EB and my truck bumper!!!;D;D;D

Attachments

• DSCN2455.JPG
    DSCN2455.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN2454.JPG
    DSCN2454.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN2456.JPG
    DSCN2456.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN2461.JPG
    DSCN2461.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
E

ejustinw

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
Awesome! Very much appreciate the responses. Mattress idea is a good one. I am thinking if I can fab up some good mounts to hang the body from, that I can use my excavator to hold the body up while working on the bottom side. Much how you used the chain hoist or engine host.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Yes sir, I was flipping mine from a low dolly on to at wood frame I built on a little HF trailer. Just needed to get to the bottom to spray with liner. Be sure and brace the door openings and side to side.

Good Luck!!!;D;D;D

Galt72

Contributor
Here is what i did. worked really well. I could flip it back and forth all by myself.
20150413_075239.jpg
20150407_143749.jpg

20150520_094450_resized_1.jpg

Galt72

Contributor
Thanks I borrowed the idea from the small car crowd. The guy that blasted the body said it was easier to work with than a rotisserie

Shulaps

Loc.
BC Interior, Canada
I just flipped mine from nose to tail. I have a large barn with enough height to flip it, about 15 feet. I braced the body along the top and put thick plywood in the door opening. Drilled a hole just in front of the rear door post and slid a bar through that I used to lift it. It is surprisingly easy to spin around. Used a chain hoist to lift it. The top of my bracing was perfectly flat (12 foot 2x8) so I could set it on a trailer to move it around and work on it.