• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulled the body off today.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Man, what a long day. Woke up this morning and built a temporary wood frame......what an ordeal, and I had it all planned out too.

Check out the photos.

:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-013F.JPG
    MVC-013F.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 221
  • MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 159
  • MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 162
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 211

tobinj

Loc.
Martinsburg, WV
Looks good but you just made the biggest mistake ever.... Once the body is off it takes forever to get back on, because you find yourself saying well since it is off I can do this or this or this......next thing you know its two years later and you cant drive your bronco.

The bronco looks good now what prompted the body removal.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Good job! Wonder if it was much more stable with the top and tailgate on. I've pulled a couple bare tubs with no tops or front clips and they were a wobblers (I braced the one on my frame up). Good job on that dolly! What are the plans?

OP
OP
LSUpete

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
tobinj said:

I just wanted to do it. This is purely a hobby for me, and I want to start from scratch to make certain that it lasts for decades.

It really is in great shape. It was originally a California vehicle, and is 99% rust free. It's also a '76 model with all of the desirable options.

OP
OP
LSUpete

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
PDXBronco said:
Good job! Wonder if it was much more stable with the top and tailgate on. I've pulled a couple bare tubs with no tops or front clips and they were a wobblers (I braced the one on my frame up). Good job on that dolly! What are the plans?

Yep, that is evidence of the value of this site. I had heard about the dangers of wobbling/folding, so I got some extra hands and lifted everything. I had no intention of welding in temporary bracing when I could just leave the hard top on and accomplish the same thing. Now that it is bolted to the dolly I'll pull the top and tailgate.

My plans are to blast the frame, interior and engine bay..... and apply POR-15.

Last edited:

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Hope it wasn't too much of an ordeal. Actually I don't have any simpathy for ya. You guys are out there in shorts and it's 26 degrees here.;D
You'll be glad you went the extra step.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
LSUpete said:
I had no intention of welding in temporary bracing when I could just leave the hard top on and accomplish the same thing.
My plans are to blast the frame, interior and engine bay..... and apply POR-15.

Why does everyone think you have to weld in supports.? I have read it time and time again. To safely support the tub all thats needed is one small brace on each door opening. A cheap piece of 1/2 inch conduit flattened with a hammer at both ends. Bolt it to the upper hinge plate and to a 5/16" hole behind striker post just below where top bolts on. No diagonal bars or anything else is needed. Very strong and solid. If tub is stripped down completely, it takes only two people(age 16 up) to R&R to frame. Not everything is etched in stone just because one vocal person has previously done it that way.

BTW, if using POR-15 please try to have it applied with a HVLP gun if you have access to that. It lays down so well and very ecconomical if used this way. No thinning of POR is needed and if frame is washed and degreased then blasted with clean or new sand, you dont have to prep with acid before applying. You dont even need a topcoat on frame or anything except what is exposed to direct sunlight. The frame ends where bumper mounts is about the only frame section that needs a topcoat.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I guess alot of you guys havent been here long. LSUPete is no newcomer. He has built several Broncos over the years and they always turn out sweet!! Good to see you back in the game, Pete. How is Tampa treating you?

Why brace the tub?? Alot of folks may not realize how degraded their rockers are...they pick it up front and rear and it folds. Its happened. If you plan on moving it alot, transporting it, etc, putting in bracing is cheap and easy...I am not sure why more people dont just use the striker and door hinge mounting points though. That way it all unbolts when you are working on an area, painting, etc and then just reinstall the bracing for transport.

Good luck, Pete.

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
Ditto, But for me 4 years and counting. I'll never do that again!

tobinj said:
Looks good but you just made the biggest mistake ever.... Once the body is off it takes forever to get back on, because you find yourself saying well since it is off I can do this or this or this......next thing you know its two years later and you cant drive your bronco.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
That is one clean frame for having nothing done to it. That ones not going to take much work. Keep the pics coming Pete.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
trailpsycho said:
I guess alot of you guys havent been here long. LSUPete is no newcomer. He has built several Broncos over the years and they always turn out sweet!! Good to see you back in the game, Pete. How is Tampa treating you?

Why brace the tub?? Alot of folks may not realize how degraded their rockers are...they pick it up front and rear and it folds. Its happened. If you plan on moving it alot, transporting it, etc, putting in bracing is cheap and easy...I am not sure why more people dont just use the striker and door hinge mounting points though. That way it all unbolts when you are working on an area, painting, etc and then just reinstall the bracing for transport.

Good luck, Pete.
You beat me to it. Pete has made some awesome bronco's. Keep us posted on the progress Pete always an inspiration.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also removed my tub yesterday. I didn't have such a nice dolly to put it on, but do plan on building a cart this week to allow me to wheel it in and out.

I braced my doors with 3/4" conduit. One bar across each door with another brace down to the floor and a final brace between the two doors. This even provided for a good grip when lifting it off. There is a lot of rust in the floor pans and that's what led to the added bracing. The tub didn't tweak at all when we lifted it.

Attachments

• Door Bracing.JPG
    Door Bracing.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Tub on Ground.JPG
    Tub on Ground.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 71

brian72

Early Bronco Student
What you did not call me???? Save me a couple of the old body bushings...

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
I wonder if he has as good of neighbors as he used to? I liked the pictures of the neighbors hanging around "other tub" a lot better

;)

OP
OP
LSUpete

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
blu72 said:
I wonder if he has as good of neighbors as he used to? I liked the pictures of the neighbors hanging around "other tub" a lot better

;)

Just for you.....here's an encore photo of that party.

Attachments

• spanking.jpg
    spanking.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 50