• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about Tilt Steering Donor

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
I found a '77 F-250 (Camper Special) and a '77 F-150 in my favorite junkyard today and was wondering if they would be good donors for a column swap. If so, is one better than the other. $150 pulled.
Is there another tilt steering thats an easier swap?

Thanks in advance!

Keith

Broncotj0

Loc.
Mankato, MN
I have always been told that you need a '78-79 column. I have never done the swap so I'm not 100% on this.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Below outta get U goin. Sure did me.

Todd Z.'s Tilt Column For Your Bronco

http://azbronco.org/tech06.htm- best article

MORE:

Tilt column install in an Early Bronco
(Compiled by Tony Nokes)

Discussion:
Usually the tilt columns in E & F series are found in the Camper Specials, Trailer Specials, Club Wagons and other top-end models. 1978 and 1979 are the only years from this era in which a tilt column was available, and the ignition key is still on the dash. There is a tilt column for a floor-shift manual transmission truck but they're extremely rare. If you ever find one in a salvage lot, GRAB IT! The E series Column is about 6” longer and works better in the early Bronco than the F-series.

'78-'79 steering columns are the same for 2WD and 4WD. The steering box end of the shaft is splined and there is a yoke for a rag joint on 2WD installations or the short shaft with U-joint for 4WD. The F-Series steering column in this picture has the 2WD adapter installed

If you are using an aftermarket Grant wheel you will need to purchase a different adapter kit as the wheel hub has a larger diameter. The Ford part number for the tilt turn signal switch is D8TZ-13341-A with a list price of ~$140. Also, aftermarket outlets like NAPA have this switch, but they do not know it. '73-'79 FoMoCo tilt columns use the exact same direct bolt-in replacement as a '75-'86 Dodge van without a tilt column. The Ford pickup tilt column shares the same bearings as the Ford van tilt columns
If just the turns signal cam is broken a generic replacement one is available from Motomite AKA “HELP” for about $15. The quality is not great but they work. The '78-'79 non-tilt column's wiring and harness is supposed to be the same as the tilt version, except for the horn circuit. Also, the van and pickup tilt column turn-signal switches all the way to '86 (and possibly up through '8 will fit the '78-'79 tilt columns. The wires may not be the same, but it's not too hard to figure out.

Everything 10 yrs old gets crushed round here. Hadda go from (here) MA to OR n spend $200 to get mine. Good luck, let us know how U do/any more Qs.

OP
OP
BooRae

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Very cool! Thanks! Actually, the F-150 is a '78, and the 250 was a late 77 production, making it a '78 as well (I took photos of the VIN plates). From ToddZ's write up, that's looking easy enough! My 5'2" wife has a hard time seeing over the steering wheel and wants it to tilt. Plus, from the write up, seems like I can move the wheel itself closer to the dash so she can reach the pedals...

Thanks again,
Keith

nutter3

BooRae,
If you have an extra one with your eye on it, can you let me know where it is? I've been wanting to get one. Thanks,

Andre

OP
OP
BooRae

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Andre, I'll hook you up! Your in Trapper Creek? Cool, I'm not sure we've met?!
What do you have?
Anyway, they are at Kink Towing and Salvage, on Hollywood, off of Vine, off KGB in Wasilla. If I can have dibs on the F-150 one, the f-250 is good also. Just the trim is pulled away on the column (pic attached). It's by the EB sitting on a shipping container that breaks my heart (pic also attached) on the road lane behind the EB.

Attachments

• 78F-250 Tilt.jpg
    78F-250 Tilt.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Kink Wrecking Bronco-Sept10-post.jpg
    Kink Wrecking Bronco-Sept10-post.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 105

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
looking easy enough! My 5'2" wife

As I all ways say "application is everything" in automotive world. The above sounds like some in my family: 6"2' hubbies, 5"2' wives! Perfect application!

Keep in touch, let us know how it goes, good luck...

nutter3

BooRae, That poor bronco...

Actually I've moved to Kenai, so dont know when I'll get up there. I've seen a few 78-79 broncos on CL for cheap down here, but not sure if they have tilt. Thinking about getting one for the axles, tilt, PS box.... then trashing the rest.
I have a 73 half cab I drive and plow with. I just bought the multi-colored 74 that was on AKlist in Anchorage. That will be my project.
Thanks for the heads up on the tilt. Now if you ever see cummins 4BT up here for sale, that I'd be real interested in.

OP
OP
BooRae

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Andre, are you on the Kenai, or in Kenai? We have a camp just before Sterling we spend most of the weekends at. If you wish, I can get it and bring it down for you. What sickens me is there was an abandoned 78 Bronco on Elmendorf with tilt, driveline and Auto Trans that I snagged the hubs off of. Then I deployed for six months and when I got back all the abandoned vehicles in the 'junkyard' was crushed and gone. Very few Broncos had tilt, from my understanding. There is a ton of old late 70's trucks down there!
I'll keep an eye out for a 4BT. I'd love to that conversion, but it will be along time out. 73 Half Cab... Cool!

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
There should be a tech article on the '89 F-150 column on the site... I saw it somewhere, sorry I dont have to time to find it just now, but you may want to take a look.. I'm debating an even more modern column, like off my Explorer donor, but it surely wouldnt be a simple job.