• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick Release Hard Top?

Recko555

I was wondering if there was such a thing as quick release hard tops on the bronco market? I searched for it on the forums, but didn't find anything. I know Jeeps have them, but didn't know if Broncos had them.

Gabe

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
No reason you couldn't use the same c-clamps that are used to hold on pick-up bed caps. They seem to hold and seal well. Might even be able to use them across the top of the windshield as well. Just couldn't have the interior side panels installed.

But to answer your question I have never seen any quick release hard tops or mechanisms sold for this purpose specifically for an early Bronco.

orange69

I use the canopy C clamps for the back and they work great. I have heard of using small clamps for the front but have never seen any. I just use a few bolts.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bronko69er said:
Heres an idea, how about a few of these above the window and on the bed rails. They are a little big, might be able to find smaller ones.
http://www.mcmaster.com/ search for "Pull-Action Toggle Clamps"
I looked those over yesterday and #3 is the only one that looks like it would be close however i don't think there is enough clearance for the handle above the rail. If you put it on the edge of the rail then it will pull the side of the top inward rather than clamping the top down.

What would be pretty cool would be to set it up with dzus fasteners.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
SaddleUp said:
I looked those over yesterday and #3 is the only one that looks like it would be close however i don't think there is enough clearance for the handle above the rail. If you put it on the edge of the rail then it will pull the side of the top inward rather than clamping the top down.

What would be pretty cool would be to set it up with dzus fasteners.

How bout catelog page 2826? Outside corner mount.
Or pg 2827 Turn-to-Open Draw Latches. I've seen some like his with a larger cam and lever to provide some clamping force. Still looking though.....

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Here's my quick release method.
Really, put a box end wrench on the nut and spin the bolt off in less than 5 seconds using an air ratchet.
I can do both bed rail sides within 5 minutes.
I don't know if I'd trust anything other than the bolts and a nuts.

Attachments

• airratchet.jpg
    airratchet.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 5

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Mark Troy said:
Here's my quick release method.
Really, put a box end wrench on the nut and spin the bolt off in less than 5 seconds using an air ratchet.
I can do both bed rail sides within 5 minutes.
I don't know if I'd trust anything other than the bolts and a nuts.

I do the same for the bed rails, Its that window bolts that are a PITA.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Look at the bottom of page 2827. I don't know what kind of strength they would have but it looks like they would work if they are strong enough.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
SaddleUp said:
Look at the bottom of page 2827. I don't know what kind of strength they would have but it looks like they would work if they are strong enough.
The snap slide latches?
I guess that begs the question, How much compression/force is needed to seal the window gasket? Can you just pull down on the top , slide those in and achieve enough compression on the gasket to seal properly? Or are we really after a clamp?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bronko69er said:
The snap slide latches?
I guess that begs the question, How much compression/force is needed to seal the window gasket? Can you just pull down on the top , slide those in and achieve enough compression on the gasket to seal properly? Or are we really after a clamp?
I would think the weight of the top would be sufficient to compress the seal. Tightening the top too tight can actually cause the seal to leak.

OP
OP
Recko555

Recko555

Thanks for the ideas guys. McMaster-Carr is great for these kind of things.
I think the snap slide would work. The small bolts and nuts do not have the much clamping force. That is why there is so many of them.

Maybe even some modified quick release skewers/seat mounts that are used on bicycles.