• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radio Under Dash

bluemonday

Loc.
South Louisiana
Looking to install a Radio under the dash, center on top the hump, with speakers all contained in the same box. I want to make it out of aluminum 1/8" plate just because I have some scrap. I saw a few pictures similar to this but can't seem to find them. Show me if you have one similar. The one I saw had some angles bent into the box and looked as if it was an extension of the dash.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I think that they all have some angles in them but this is what I came up with after playing around with it. I think that some small speaker would fit with the radio. Problem is that the tranny tunnel is not really that wide so getting it all in there can get a bit tricky sometimes but it can be done.

Attachments

• Bronco Build Pics 2011 019.jpg
    Bronco Build Pics 2011 019.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 199

tinytim02

Contributor
Not mine, just a pic I had stored on the hard drive. I've seen a few variations of this, with the speakers mounted on the sides instead of on the front.

Tim

Attachments

• center_console.jpg
    center_console.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 209

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Here's mine. I have taken it out of this Bronco and will be installing it in my trail rig shortly.

Attachments

• DSC01144.jpg
    DSC01144.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 182

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Note that the tranny tunnel is not centered. It's biased towards the passenger side.

If you notice, mine is centered on the dash not on the tranny tunnel. It actually drops down a few inches on the driver's side.

FYI I made this when DP was the shiznitz! But you could do something similar in smooth sheet and paint to match like broncoitis did.

Attachments

• DSC00105.jpg
    DSC00105.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 126

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Personally, either way looks nice to me! Just depends on your preference. ;D

OP
OP
B

bluemonday

Loc.
South Louisiana
Broncoitis, What did you make the box out of ?? Sheet metal or aluminum? I have been looking and yours seem to look the best so far without being extreme. It looks as if it belongs there, goes with the interior lines. Some of the others look after market. This is my opinion.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I built mine outta 16ga sheetmetal! If I did another, I would maybe go with 14ga but that is obviously a bit harder to bend. I drew up the shape in CAD and had a water jet cut it out. After that I had a local metal shop that helped me make the bends but it was a bit tricky to bend. You definitely have to think about which ones to make first and so on.

Circumstances being what they were, I needed somewhere to mount the vents for my Vintage Air System because I was outta space on the dash. Another obstacle is the 5 speed. Ideally, I wish the radio was a bit higher up but that wasn't gonna happen and I am happy with it.

It is attached to the bottom of the dash and really doesn't go out past the dash much at all. With an automatic it could be configured all kinds of different ways. Good Luck! ;D

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Mine is made out of wood and covered but it could be done in aluminum just as easy.

Attachments

• IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 56

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I built mine outta 16ga sheetmetal! If I did another, I would maybe go with 14ga but that is obviously a bit harder to bend. I drew up the shape in CAD and had a water jet cut it out. After that I had a local metal shop that helped me make the bends but it was a bit tricky to bend. You definitely have to think about which ones to make first and so on.

Circumstances being what they were, I needed somewhere to mount the vents for my Vintage Air System because I was outta space on the dash. Another obstacle is the 5 speed. Ideally, I wish the radio was a bit higher up but that wasn't gonna happen and I am happy with it.

It is attached to the bottom of the dash and really doesn't go out past the dash much at all. With an automatic it could be configured all kinds of different ways. Good Luck! ;D