• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radius arm frame bracket mod (What do you think?)

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I have been thinking about modifying my radius arm brackets to gain a little caster before I get my frame painted. I was thinking of taking the round piece that is welded to the radius arm bracket off. Notching the bottom of the bracket and then adding a piece of 3/4 plate with a hole in it for the radius arm that is the full length of the bracket with a 1 inch drop added in.
I have a WH 3.5" lift. On my last Bronco I the same lift and could have used a little more caster, that's what started this thought process. I was going to modify a set of radius arms but I thought this might be a simpler solution.
I don't play in the rocks, just wheeling in the mountains while hunting and enjoying the outdoors. I don't think the clearance will be an issue.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I have the duff adjustable drop bracket. Its nice to have three different choose for the arms, or you could modify yours.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 89
  • brackets 011.jpg
    brackets 011.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 85

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Check out the wh weld on brackets. They gusset the extension. If you look at the stock brackets they are gusseted too.

I'm no engineer but just adding extensions would increase the force exerted against that flat plate. If I was doing a homemade extension using same thickness plate I would extend the stock gussets just to be safe or have an engineer friend calculate it out for me.

There are some homemade drop brackets I've run across on here and going by memory they are all gusseted in some fashion.

Broncos are burly for sure but when it comes to the front end suspension the thought of losing the radius arm connection point scares me.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks,
I appreciate the replies. I am going ahead with my idea and will definitely look into gussets if I need them. I think it will turn out okay. I like Duffs brackets but am short on coin and heavy on fab tools and metal. I will post up some pics when I get them done.