• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rampage soft top leak

joshm121

Loc.
Atlanta
Hey guys, just installed a rampage soft top on my bronco from Toms. Couple things bothered me, hoping you guys can help me out. Now as a reference point, I had a wrangler TJ for years so maybe my expectation is a little skewed by the new tech, but considering rampages website advertises "better than original" I think it is a fair comparison.

1st- I dont see a way to secure the top to the door rails and as a result top leaks. I double checked the rails but don't see anything. Shouldn't there be some way for the top to secure here so it doesn't a) ballooup at speed b) leak when raining ?

2nd. - one button on the top will not fasten to the back rail support. It is the furthest driver side. All others fit with a good stretching but last on is no way. I suppose this could be an installation issue but I double checked all my measurements compared to drawings and still a no-go. I'm hoping with warmer weather and more use it may loosen up. As a consequence the back supports and window do not fit snug and look a little "off"

3rd- front windshield snap broke day one. Snap did not seem to be overly stressed but just came to pieces. Don't see a way to repair without patching the fabric

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I like the look of my Rampage but they have to come up with a better way to seal around the top and back of the door frame. There is a lot of room for improvement and this design hasn't been changed in probably 20 years and comparing it to the TJ top is not fair because there is no comparison. TJ design is far superior to that of the Rampage. I also had a TJ and the top was awesome to take up or down. Piece of Cake compared to the Rampage!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
ya your expecting way to much! Mine seals up fine but I can see light In a few areas. Don't expect to go through the car wash and stay dry. The snaps are right you just need to heat the shit out of the fabric and pull till your fingers hurt. Took me about a half hour to get mine snapped. As far as the front snaps I don't know cause I ant using them. I just tuck the flap up under. Probably have to have a boat cover shop look at it.

Arikilen

Loc.
Clovis, CA
It took a lot (understatement) of fiddling to get the top to not leak during the rain >.< I don't even want to take it down because I am sure I will need to do all that fiddling again...

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I installed my Rampage top just last weekend, we had some warm weather. The snaps on the back hoop.... Like "blnbronco" mention heat it I took a heat gun put it on low and heated area between one snap to another and did one snap at a time. Got them all done . The last EB I owened was 20 years ago and it had a Rampage style top I'm guessing a ild Kayline ..,, that top !!! Snaps all over including the tail gate. The window frame , Velcro flaps ...so I'm really happy to the improvements on this top. Is there more room for improvement ? I think so but we are still taking about retro fitting to a 40 yr old truck

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
material at door window frames rolls over and into the channel.

For the back button, buttons in general, and installing windows....Leave the back bow collapsed until all bu the sides of the back window are zipped. Then simply reach in a pull the bow back to lock it. Last, zip the the sides of the rear window.

I have never understood why Bestop has not integrated the fast track type system into the door windows on Broncos like the TJ tops. :(

EDIT: I corrected my first statement as I realize the newest tops do not use velcro at the doors! THis is an improvement over the old tops, but would still be nice if they worked in a drip rail like TJ's or the the BC top.

Last edited:

67RT

Bronco Guru
Are you talking about attaching the top to the rail that rises from the pillar up along the door frame? If so, it folds in just like at the rear.. (see arrow in pic)

I did not use the front snaps. I added velcro but probably not needed. Tucking is fine.

My snaps were a pain. I heated with heat gun but was afraid to burn it. I pulled.. Eventually used vice grips with soft material around the teeth and actually ripped some material off before it snapped. Finally got it. Wait until summer.. Bad design.

I still can't fit everything under rear rail. Side flaps don't fit and stay in, so I used velcro there (see pic). I don't drive it in the rain, but I am sure it would leak..

Attachments

• rampage 1.jpg
    rampage 1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 117
  • rampage2.jpg
    rampage2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 107

67RT

Bronco Guru
Are you talking about attaching the top to the rail that rises from the pillar up along the door frame? If so, it folds in just like at the rear.. (see arrow in pic)

I did not use the front snaps. I added velcro but probably not needed. Tucking is fine.

My snaps were a pain. I heated with heat gun but was afraid to burn it. I pulled.. Eventually used vice grips with soft material around the teeth and actually ripped some material off before it snapped. Finally got it. Wait until summer.. Bad design.

I still can't fit everything under rear rail. Side flaps don't fit and stay in, so I used velcro there (see pic). I don't drive it in the rain, but I am sure it would leak..

Oops, just read again and you said top of door. Above comment by previous member was correct.

bmcqueen

Loc.
Corinth, MS
I love the style of the rampage top but I went to the BC top for this very reason...the door seals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 113

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I drive with my Rampage top all year long at times (in Oregon where it RAINS A LOT), never had a leak problem... it simply is a great fit and seals up around the doors just fine.

Attachments

• Soft Top Fit6 30.JPG
    Soft Top Fit6 30.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 94

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I drive with my Rampage top all year long at times (in Oregon where it RAINS A LOT), never had a leak problem... it simply is a great fit and seals up around the doors just fine.

Ok, and how long does it take you to get it put back on that way after you put it down to enjoy a nice sunny day with the Bronco??? Curious! ;D

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Ok, and how long does it take you to get it put back on that way after you put it down to enjoy a nice sunny day with the Bronco??? Curious! ;D

I can put mine back up in about 8 to 10 minutes. It's not like a true convertible, but much easier and faster than a Best Top.

The snap on my front tab broke also. I also had a zipper break on the left side window. That's a pain in the a$$. That accounts for the extra 2 minutes now to get the top put back on.

Since I have the hardtop on now, maybe I take the window and top to the upholstery shop and get her fixed before it warms up.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My rampage top seems to seal pretty good.

The snaps on the Top for the Rear Bow is a pain to install. I laid the top in the sun for a awhile and after some tugging it snapped on.

Take some time to line up the top and rear door rails and tighten down the best you can. These door rails can be removed without loosening the wing nut so it is quite easy to reinstall the same as before.

Most of the time I will just lower the top back and keep the Bows attached. When I take off the Top completely I keep the rear Bow attached because of problems listed earlier.