• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rampage top, side rail install question?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I started installing my hardware for my rampage top today so I will have all the holes drilled before paint. My question is about the side rail bolt hole in the rear by the tailgate. The instructions say to drill a hole and use a self tapping screw. Has anyone skipped that hole? It looks to me that the last hard top bolt hole would be enough support without adding another hole in the top of the bed rail. I might be missing something here that makes the extra bolt necessary, not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As always, Thanks in advance!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I just put mine back on, on top of my quarter guards. don't plan on putting it back in, unless someone has a good reason. guess I'm not much help huh lol

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Forgive me it's been awhile,but IIRC I just used the existing holes from the hardtop I removed ( it was not repairable ).I do remember I didn't want to drill any more holes and I was determined to use whatever holes were left by the hardtop.We did make a bracket to help the upper rail be more snug around the top of the door but no extra holes. Good luck. ;)

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the input, I am going to ignore it for now. If it is a problem later I can always drill another hole.

Have a good one!

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hey Steve. when we dry fit the soft top just before priming last summer, that hole line right up with the seam to the taillamp housing so i skipped it. i also drilled the holes in the tailgate for nutserts instead of screws.

Hank

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the replies! Hank, thanks for that info, I have not installed the tailgate piece yet, I will check that out. Have a good one!

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Last hole isn't used on mine with either my STC or Kayline tops. This is what Hankjr was talking about with the tailgate piece. 10-24 inserts and thumbknobs.
STC top folds under this piece and this makes tailgate use/access much simpler.

Attachments

• IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Slednut10, Thanks for the pics. I really like that, much easier to deal with for sure. I will be doing that for sure! Have a good one!