• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ramps or a Fast Jack

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
I couldn't help but look at the Amazon Prime Day deals for automotive items today and saw deals on jacks and ramps. Some of them looking pretty good while others looking like they are trying to catch people who don't know how to do math.

As mentioned in previous posts, I am going to try to do as much as my own maintenance and repair on my own but do not have a lot of the necessary gear to do so. What would you guys recommend as a reliable and safe method of raising your truck and getting underneath?

Ramps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0117EETEK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

or

Jacks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMPFI6I/?tag=car-search-20

(Note: Links are for example purposes - not items I am considering at the moment).

Thanks!

rmk57

Personally I prefer jack stands and a good floor jack. Ramps you cant remove wheels or do brakes or some drive line jobs and such. I'd be scared to get underneath a heavier vehicle with those plastic ramps.

Big difference in price, but stands and a jack are 10 times more useful.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Both are nice tools to have, but if you need to pick one, then I'd get the jack and some jack stands since they're more versatile as noted above.

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jack and the larger jack stands from HF for me, the ramps are on the wall collecting dust never use them.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
X3, get a good floor jack and a large set of jack stands. I have an old set of ramps but haven't used them in years.

Nothing Special

It's been walked around here, but to be clear, do NOT work under a vehicle when it is up on a jack. As people have said above, get jack stands to support it while you are under it. The jack is for lifting it onto the jack stands.

And although I use a jack and jack stands a lot more than I use my ramps, I do still have and use ramps. But they are pretty much only used for doing oil changes on the short vehicles that my wife and sons drive (I can change oil on my Bronco and truck while they are sitting on all 4 tires). Ramps are quicker and easier to use in those cases, but for just about anything else I use the jack stands.

OP
OP
bostonbronconut

bostonbronconut

Contributor
Question Asker
Loc.
Wayland, MA
Great feedback - I figured that the Jack/Stand combo was the way to go but I figured I'd ask the experts.

Thanks!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If that's one of the smaller steel floor Jack's spend the extra $$ for the adult version. If it's one of the lightweight fancy ones I haven't tried one yet.

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
if you indeed MUST decide between the two, then yes jack + stands is the way to go...having said that, whenever i work on my front or rear suspension and the Bronco needs to be supported by the frame, then I use the jack stands on TOP of my ramps due to the height. My ramps are old school steel ones I got for 10 bucks at a yard sale, as mentioned by SteveL that's where to buy jack stands too ;D

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... if Money is a issue I say check out Harbor Fright .
I believe their aluminum jack is 137.00 & They do have some nice jack stands .
.. Now I did like the looks of those ramps but Harbor Freight has them also.

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
I have a 3 ton floor Jack and a 2.5 ton racing Jack with a set of small and a set of large jack stands all from harbor freight. Ramps are worthless IMO. Wouldn't even use them on my boys WRX or ST. 12 inches doesn't give you much room.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have both. I use ramps for oil changes on our passenger cars.
It's important to keep jack stands and real wheel chocks in a handy place. That way you're not tempted to take shortcuts.
I caught my oldest son changing the oil with only a floor jack because he couldn't find the jack stands.
That's when I showed him the old trick of driving a wheel up on the curb and changing the oil in the street.;) There's never a good excuse.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have that jack and have had no problems with it. It does not lift as high as my old jack but works fine with the Bronco and is small enough to stay out of the way.

There is a coupon for $10 off on the website.
81230471c62ad0f166fe0f1241ca376b.jpg

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I think it'd be a great jack If it's 78lb doesn't hamper you. After i've gotten old . I'm looking for lighter weight jacks . But if you only use yours in the shop Then the steel heavy jack are ok. & I still have an old JET Jack form my parts store. It must be 40 years old 2.5tom & Wt. 65# i think .. I hate having to load it up & take it to the pasture to fix something in the field .
SO I've been looking at H/F for the big aluminum to be on sale & Me have some JINGLE in my pockets.