• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

*RANT* Found NP435 in junkyard...they pulled me a T19 from wrong truck

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
So I gave up on the C4 quest and decided to go standard. Going around to my local junkyard I found three red Fords and the middle one was a red 78 F-250 with a np435. Sweet!. So I leave a $100 deposit, $200 total. I go and pick it up today and pay the rest and thats when it went to hell. I go to the side of the yard and go to get my tranny and I see only one tranny there...A T-19, two PTO covers with a passenger side PTO attached(cool) with an aluminum big block bellhousing. So I go back and he says thats the only four speed he saw. I can go show you, then he says that he crushed all of them and theres nothing he can do about it. So I got the tranny for a $100 bucks because I refused to pay the rest, and the deposit is not refundable.

Reading the numbers on it its the 4:01 first gear and sycronized, which is great...but it might hurt my with the 38x15.5's I have.....sigh...and the rear cover does not have a square bolt pattern so I dont know if a 6cyl adapter will work....:mad: I have sent out some PM's on/about fitment of this tranny please respond

Attachments

• t-19 001.jpg
    t-19 001.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 41
  • t-19 002.jpg
    t-19 002.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 46
  • t-19 003.jpg
    t-19 003.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 36

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
That's a pisser that they dropped the ball on you like that.

Sell it, and keep looking for another T-18/19 or NP435. That one's going to cost you quite a bit to get installed, and be more difficult at the same time. I scored a 435 with adapter for $250 here on the forum, Big Jerry nabbed his and a couple more locally for even less. The deals are out there, keep looking.

Surely you can get what you have in it back out.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That kinda sucks but at least its a better deal. Might be able to sell the PTO for a few bucks to. I'm pretty sure some one makes the adapter for the T-18/T-19 the only thing I'm not sure on is the spline count which I believe is 31 splines on all T-19's.
If you lived closer I'd get you a correct tranny I passed up at least 3 NP435's last week in the pick and pull and one was out of the truck already although it was a 4x4 model and probably had the wrong spline count. Last setup I go cost me $180 for a NP435 and a NP205 tcase. But I did pull it myself.

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
I have two bigblocks....so if i use the bellhousing and buy two paddle tires...From what I have read you can still use the 6cyl adapter housing but no space and 'modify' the bolt holes. I will need a 6cyl adapter housing anyways so I will figure something out. Just had to type it out....none I know deals with this kinda crud around hear sorry to bend everyones ears.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I would take it back and tell them you want a np435 not some other POS tell them they have a $100.00 Deposit till the find you one if it comes to it Small Claims court They can't keep your money if they cant supply you with the right parts . ( its not what you ordered! )

Brian

But then again
this should have been done before you picked it up it shows you were happy with the part.

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
I could have done that...and should have, but this is 1 of 2 major junkyards within 50 miles of me. Cape Cod sucks and you are usually at the mercy of this guy. He is like a pitbull you cross him once and he wont let you back in the yard...ever, I know people who cant go back there. Either way iam just out of $100 since the deposit isnt refundable.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The T19/ T18 you want has a 6.19/ low gear and I beleve that trans you have will have a 31 spline output. The 4.00 low gear was used a lot in diesels. It's really not what you want.

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
I feel your pain. A couple weeks ago I drove 2 hours to a yard that "had" 2 ZFs in stock. When I got there I looked at the trucks and BOTH of them had the damn mazda trans. I did score an NP205 out of the deal though.

The T19 isnt total crap, should be fairly easy to unload if you're set on the 435.

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
no im going to hang in there...ive already got $600 into 2 C4's and a T-19. So Im not at the price of a new tranny yet lol. I am almost at the point of bolting a flywheel onto the crank for a weight then welding a driveshaft yoke onto that for a direct drive...HAHA

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
The T19 you have is the same one I have.. I am almot positive it has a 6.something first.. I will find the info again..
I replied to your PM.. I love my T19.. It is a tough tranny and with 5.39's and 39.5 Boggers it works great. The T19 is the better tranny in some ways, it has fully syncro'd forward gears. I say keep the PTO on it.. if you decide to get rid of it let me know :)

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
no need to reply man i was reading some of your past posts and from others about it. I do appreciate it. It just seems like a nightmare right this moment, iam going to sleep fine tonight.

lol(below)

Attachments

• stupidtranny.gif
    stupidtranny.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 170

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I read somewhere that the T19's with the low gear had the dual PTO ports for the HD series trucks.. I will see if I can find that.. heres what I found so far.

From NOVAK site:

Ford & Scout T19's
Very much similar to the T18 in appearance and build is the T19. This four-speed transmission is different from the T18 and others in that it usually features taller gearing and a synchronized first gear. It was introduced in Ford trucks in the 1968 model year.

Three gearing options were available for the Ford T19. The T19 was available with a 6.32:1 first gear. These were only in rarer Ford 500-800 series HD trucks. The very most common T19 available in Ford applications was the T19A with the 4:02:1 first gear ratio. For two years (documented from 1983-1984) there was a Ford T19 with a 5.1:1 first gear. All ratios listed had a synchronized first.

We've learned that the 1983 to 1986 Ford T19's, as installed behind the 460 and diesel had the 4.02:1 first gear, in a 2wd application, or a diesel 4wd application. The 460 4wd truck got the 6.32:1 first gear, purportedly from 1983 to 1986 F250's.

The T19 transmissions are equipped with dual PTO ports.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Turn the input shaft and count the turns on the output.

I used a T-18 and it was fine, just drill the 2 holes for the lower mounts.

I didnt have to mod the driveshafts or anything.

SHouldnt be too hard to sell if its the 4;1 first.

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
Rajincajun thanks for the info. Iam going to call first thing Monday. I wonder why most of the suppliers offer a swap kit that both covers the np435 and the t-18/19....makes me think that the 4wd version np435 bolt pattern('a' pattern or trapazoid) is the same as the t-18/19??....hhmmmm.....does anyone have any measurements of the 4wd version np435 trapazoid pattern??

Attachments

• Copy of t-19 004.jpg
    Copy of t-19 004.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
son of a.....Thats strange that they are the same from different manufacturers...but makes it alittle easier. So now I just need a 4x4 adapter for the np435 and without the aluminum adapter piece. I will most likely order the noted adapter that Rajincajun is using. Thanks all. This does ease my mind. Thanks for all the info.

Still thinking about the 460 swap more now that I have the bellhousing and a stronger tranny...

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
No im not a sand dragger but havent been able to drive my truck I rebuilt in 8 months due to various family, time and money constraints. I was building this to go up to your area up north...the land of a million rocks and mud....love it in New Hampshire and Maine. And also to drive around here on Cape Cod beaches. You sand drag?