• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ray Conniff Baja 1000 Bronco

Swerve

I know that this record album is fairly well known, but I thought maybe this may be of interest to some since there have been no recent posts about this.

Maybe someone can chime in with some more history about Ray and his Bronco.

I included the front of the album so it would be easier for someone to locate one if they wanted.

The other photo is from somewhere on the net, I forget where I found it.

Here is part of an article form Hemmings Motor News, November 2004;

"Parnelli talked to Dad (Bill Stroppe), and convinced him that if I (Willie Stroppe) wanted to go off-roading, running karts was going the wrong direction. 'If you want him in off-roading, get him to Riverside,' he said. I shared a six-cylinder, two-wheel-drive Bronco with Ray Conniff (the orchestra leader whose music was mostly associated with elevators and supermarkets); Ray would race in Pro, I'd race in novice. Well, Ray practiced for days on the 2-1/2-mile course set up on the infield. I got in finally, made one fair lap. Well, somewhere in there, a trans bracket broke, and when you let up off the gas, the revs would race back up. So you back off coming into a turn, like I did at a 90-degree right-hander, and the engine revved up an additional 2,000 rpm. I set it sideways and missed the berm by an inch, but hit a ton of tires. Ray was third in the race, but Dad gave me the trophy; he said that I was actually quicker than Ray, but because he was the pro driver he had to have the result."

Attachments

• Conniff Bronco 001.jpg
    Conniff Bronco 001.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 274
  • Conniff Bronco 002.jpg
    Conniff Bronco 002.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Conniff Bronco.jpg
    Conniff Bronco.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

House

Contributor
Minutia Militia
Cool stuff! I have a small collection of photos of his Broncos.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
As the article with Willie's comments noted, he raced a six cylinder, 2WD Bronco (beam front axle). As Andrew and I have determined, it was essentially the "trainer" Bronco in Stroppe's fleet that the newbies and in this case, the celebrity, got to race. It was affectionately known as "Flippo" because so many people rolled it. We have photos of others racing it at various times through the years.

Todd Z.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Flipoonthe_Con.jpg
[/url]
image hosting no register[/IMG]
As the article with Willie's comments noted, he raced a six cylinder, 2WD Bronco (beam front axle). As Andrew and I have determined, it was essentially the "trainer" Bronco in Stroppe's fleet that the newbies and in this case, the celebrity, got to race. It was affectionately known as "Flippo" because so many people rolled it. We have photos of others racing it at various times through the years.

Todd Z.

Is flippo the one that was made onto a half cab at some point?

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Great memoribilia right there. Appreciate the share.

Can't get enuf of them old pics and the history behind them

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, it's actually a different "flippo" than the one in the rubicon pic. Apparently they had a race and a street "flippo" . Or a nickname is getting tossed around...

djhudson05

I have that album. Bought it a couple years ago for the picture on the back. Never listened to it.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Man I came across around 10 or 12 different Ray Conniff albums at two different 2nd hand stores and Haven't found the one lsted here yet.:(

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
There was one listed on Ebay for quite awhile recently. I think Rich Miller (forget his username here) was the guy selling it.

Speaking of Ray Conniff, I think he's in one of the photos posted in Jeff10's Mint thread. I can't find the pic now but it showed him turning around and waving at one of the Broncos.

Todd Z.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
There was one listed on Ebay for quite awhile recently. I think Rich Miller (forget his username here) was the guy selling it.

Speaking of Ray Conniff, I think he's in one of the photos posted in Jeff10's Mint thread. I can't find the pic now but it showed him turning around and waving at one of the Broncos.

Todd Z.

Rmiller?

Yeah I believe one is still listed on ebay now but surly was thinking if there were at least 15 of his albums turned in to theses thrift stores in Tupelo and Oxford..note couple were found twice. I figure it will show up sooner or later.

BTW I have a couple good hands helping. ..on the lookout ;D

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Rmiller?

Yeah I believe one is still listed on ebay now but surly was thinking if there were at least 15 of his albums turned in to theses thrift stores in Tupelo and Oxford..note couple were found twice. I figure it will show up sooner or later.

BTW I have a couple good hands helping. ..on the lookout ;D

rmiller747 - it appears.

Patience is a good thing - I'm sure one will turn up.

Todd Z.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ain't seen it around here, but thanks for re engergizing my efforts :)